Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thumb drive on Dell Latitude Windows 8 machine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 am 

I used Pendrive to install Peppermint on a 16Gb USB drive. The hard drive will continue with Windows 8 for games. i have dual booted with Ubuntu installed on the hard drive before, but the last upgrade when I selected replace Ubuntu, actually wiped my hard drive and reinstalled and fresh installed.

After reinstalling Windows I have been trying thumb drive options. Macpup was nice the way it ran from RAM, but a lot of problems with incompatibilities with programs and it may no longer be updated as the Puppy founder retired. So far the persistent USB drive with Peppermint is working well. I like the Web App integration because that is primarily what I am using these days. Its almost like a Chromebook style. I use online storage and apps as much as possible to be as Knightwise would say a "Cross-Platform Slider". I have to use Windows for work, and at home for games, although with the Steam for Linux, possibly not for much longer.

If anyone has tips for persistent USB use, please let me know :D

Post subject: Re: Thumb drive on Dell Latitude Windows 8 machine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 pm 

Am I right in saying most "LiveUSB" creator applications limit the size of the persistence file to say 4GB ?

Which means a lot of your 16GB drive is being wasted.

Also there's the fact that there's no swap partiton on a live session .. and any problems are going to be nearly impossible to troubleshoot.

Have you considered doing a "proper" installation to your USB stick ?
(if you decide to try this be VERY careful where you place the GRUB bootloader, or you may screw up booting of Windows .. it can be fixed, but always best not to break something in the first place)

Another option would be to manually create a larger persistence file (casper-rw) .. obviously this will only solve the wasted disk space issue.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 pm 

The proper install is probably the best idea but likely to test my abilities. I think I may give that a try when Peppermint 5 comes out :roll:

Good idea on increasing the persistence file though. I will have to research that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm 

See here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-cre ... loop-file/

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 pm 

I could be reading it wrong but it sounds like that page says there is still a 4Gb limit due to FAT32 limits on file size. When i try typing script 1 at 13gb it says "file too large"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm 

I have made (in last 6 years) hundreds of different Ubuntu based usb-sticks with Remastersys and never used persistence file. I think it is stupid idea try to write huge file to vulnerable and file size limited fat partition.

You can make another ext2-partition with name casper-rw, where chances are saved - and which can also read and write in any Linux system.

Maybe simplest way to do that is explained in [ubuntu] Ubuntu Live-USB Using a "casper-rw" Partition - Page 2 message #12:
Quote:
Another method to setup with persistent partitions is to format FAT32 and ext2, (casper-rw), partitions, install to the FAT partition using Startup Disk Creator with minimum persistence and then delete the casper-rw file.

PS. In my tests fat16 is more reliable to boot than fat32.