Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non pae sucessfull install!! (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:25 pm 

I have just installed Peppermint 4 on my Dell D505 "M" 1.70mhz cpu ,1.5 gig mem,
I was playing around with that Lubuntu nonpae "‘grub-n-iso-n-swap.img" available on the web.(search for Lubuntu 13.04 Fake-PAE described by sudodus)"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/grub-n-iso" and address for lubuntu 13.04 fake pae iso's is "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B46yhFQuJvfPRXRvSmJ6b0xoNE0&usp=sharing"

install lububtu nonpae on usb with win32imager as per instructions on the link i've given.
After getting the Lubuntu nonpae "grubniso"img running live,i renamed peppermint 4 iso to lubuntu.iso.and copyed it over to the live lubuntu session in the folder where the proper lubuntu.iso is.
i renamed the proper lubuntu.iso to lubuntu1.iso beforehand.(you might need to open the folder as root,i forget sorry)
then i rebooted and the peppermint 4 installer was sitting on the desktop waiting to be installed:)
You must add the fake pae ppa's to your sources after the install is finished and install the fake pae file BEFORE you let the software updater run. Full instruction's are on the links i've provided.
the important info is here "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/grub-n-iso"
I think your cpu must be able to support pae,even though you get non pae error(check details on web link i've given)
it seems to be running fine ,but i will post again if any errors arise post install.
It would be great if anyone else who tries this, posts results here to let others know it does work.

Last edited by chubbychops on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Non pae sucessfull install!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 pm 

Awesome .. I had someone else asking about this the other day.

Thanks for taking the time to post your "how to" .. much appreciated :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm 

It probably works because of the Lubuntu connection.
Though i am going to try other distros now to see if this could be a great way to shoehorn the newer distros into a nonpae computer!
I don't have a great deal of technical knowledge ,though i've been using and fixing computers for 30 years.
I enjoy just diving in and seeing if something works :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 pm 

I haven't had time to have a good look at it yet, but it's my guess it will work with ANY Ubuntu 13.04 based distro.

But I'd be most interested to hear about your findings .. so please let me know how you get on :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:40 pm 

[quote][/quote]
I tryed mint 14 xfce and managed to install it,but was fail at rebooting after install ,it froze at something called samba.
though it might work for someone else.
mint 14 is approx 1gig,so you have to delete everything except grub folder on "grub and iso" usb and be aware the lost and found folder on the usb might be holding trash folder ,taking up space.
I tryed manjaro i686 , not compatible.
I tryed StartOS-5.1-LiveCD-i686.iso just for fun and couldn't believe it when it booted into the startos desktop.It was all chinese ,but when you click the install icon (bottom left),it takes you to a Gparted like program where strangely you can change your language.(edit:try pressing F2 at boot screen to get english)
DEBI fakepae wouldn't install before rebooting because they have YPK packages,not deb.
Amazingly though i tryed rebooting and took me into a really nice looking desktop.
I'll have to find a bit more about startos , it looks very nice!IMHO
startos has nautilis 2.3.1 and gnome (i think),which means its quite old,shame.
They've managed to release a good looking distro,i'd even go as far to say it looks and feels almost perfect!
update:startos beta 6.0 has just been released,i don't like that they use proprietary packages.oh well,looked so good at the beginning! Start0s beta6 doesn't seem to work with grub'n'iso,so use startos 5.1 if you want to check it out.
Thank the lord we have peppermint 4!

if you try StartOS and you have a simcard type broadband dongle ,you might find it doesn't work.
I got my t-mobile usb dongle working by downloading and installing some packages (google for http://pkg.startos.org/packages/ or startos packages or ypkbuilder,you'll see what you need straight away)
i just went to letters N M and W in their YPK package repositories and quickly downloaded anything related to Net ,Mobile and Wireless and Wpa.
This sounds a bit crazy but if you're not sure what files you need, this way seemed to work for me!
it's only amounts to approx. 10 small YPK packages,and most of them i didn't use ,but due to the fact it was 4o'clock in the morning and i was barely awake ,i don't remember exactly what package or packages out of the few i downloaded did the trick! I think i had to restart computer after, though again i forget(sorry).

P.S.. *.ypk is the equivalent of *.deb or *.rpm,it is startos package format.

On the subject of grub'n'iso ,the seems to a limitation on the size of the iso you can shoehorn in to
the img.The mint 14 iso was 1gb and i think that is the most it will accept.
I could be wrong and it might be due to using a usb too small ,but tend to think it's about not been able to enlarge the grub'n'iso past its' original size. Someone with more knowledge on this might be helpfull.
Update :Lxle.iso is a nice looking nonpae distro.

i hope it's ok chatting about other os's here,i personally have 5 different distros installed:)

Post subject: Re: Non pae sucessfull install!! (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

Hi,

I'm the guy who made and uploaded Lubuntu grub-n-iso and grub-n-iso-n-swap. I'll try to answer a few of your questions and fill in some open ends ...

Linux Mint had problems with samba. Samba is a linux system to connect to Windows local area networks, and it can be a little tricky. But it should not be a show-stopper for you.

grub-n-iso is designed to fit within 1GB, but you can use for example gparted booted from another drive to increase the size of the partition to fill a larger pendrive. grub-n-iso-n-swap is designed to fit within 2GB (and can also be expanded if you wish). This version can hold two CD size iso files, lubuntu.iso and the second one that can be renamed or linked to second.iso

The file system is ext2, where you can use hard links to link an iso file with it's original name to second.iso

Code:
ln your-particular-install-file.iso second.iso

The method to boot from iso files only works with some systems, for example the current Ubuntu and Ubuntu based desktop flavours and distros. Some systems need editing of the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg to boot, for example Knoppix, and some will not boot at all from iso files. The reason why I made and uploaded these images is that booting iso files from grub is a workaround to make it possible to boot, install and run new Ubuntu versions in old computers with Celeron M and Pentium M CPUs.

I'm glad that you test which iso files work, and that you share your results :-)

Last edited by 9wiklund on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:11 pm 

Hi 9wiklund, and welcome to the forum.

Great (and an honor) to hear from the "horses mouth" as it were .. thanks for the info, and keep up the valuable work :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

I realize this is a few months old now ,due to death in family i havn't been around.
I just wanted to say thanks to 9wiklund ,for the great job you did with the lubuntu isos.
As things do move slowly in the Linux world,i thought it would be ok :)
Better late than never!
The new info you've posted is very useful.thanks.