Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get to know your Moderators
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm 

In the year or so I've been around the Linux community I have heard from many and seen myself that we really are a family. I thought it might be nice for everyone to get a chance to learn a little more about your moderators here in the Peppermint community. All of us here are computer geeks to some degree but this won't focus on that

I'll start real early, when I was a kid I was in the boy scouts, I am an Eagle scout, and also had the opportunity to attend the world jamboree in Thailand in 2003. I've always liked being outdoors and camping.

I decided to go to college at the University of Toledo for Mechanical Engineering. I graduated from there December of 2008 with a Bachelors Degree and decided to continue on and get my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering, focusing on Solid Mechanics and Dynamics.

While in college I got into rock climbing, I worked at the university's climb wall for 4 years and then as a grad student had the chance to teach rock climbing as an instructor to other students.

I also met the girl of my dreams while in college, we happened to live in different halves of a duplex. We have been together for 2 years now and will be getting married next summer (I can't wait).

I have also always been into cars and bikes. I had a Ranger that I lowered, a VW GTI that I loved to drive, and now have a Nissan Frontier that is lifted 5" on mud tires. I started riding street bikes a few years ago. I had an old 2-stroke Suzuki to learn on, then got a GSX-R 600, and finally last year ended up with a Honda CBR 1000RR.

Long story short I have more hobbies than I can keep up with, I enjoy riding bicycles, snowboarding, shooting guns, and obviously computers.

Custom AMD Desktop | Pmint2 64-bit | Win 7
My Site | Google+| Facebook | Twitter: @eng1nerd

Post subject: Re: Get to know your Moderators
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 pm 

OK, I'll bite.

I'm from an arts background. English and French bachelor's degree (the latter I'm native level in), a medievalist, I hold a Master's degree in that subject. I ran into money troubles during my Ph. D. and had to drop out, having what I'll refer to here as a sublateral move.

I've always been into computers, too, since an early age (my first machine was a Spectrum +3). I made the move to Linux about six years due to a hardware failure... it's a long story.

I love writing, cinema, theatre, literature, heritage. I like to cycle, swim, and was a long distance runner but my left knee has an ongoing grudge against me. I'm under siege from Twitter, Facebook and a hyperactive rssowl.

Personality wise if this were a Dungeons & Dragons game, which it's not but still, you'd say I was neutral strict. I'm against any type of extremism and believe in balance. That said, I'll confess to being an always-on workaholic and a perfectionist. I'm no actual Eagle Scout myself but according to Mike Reed's "Flame Warriors" roster, as far as forums are concerned I sort of fit the bill.

I guess that's about all I can come up with, for the moment. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the forums and, who knows, maybe one day we'll all get together for a shindig.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 pm 

Well lets see here where to begin? I got into using Linux through a friend of mine about two years ago. I was building custom computers at the time for businesses and I was becoming more frustrated with Windows everyday. One day he told me to stop crying and use Linux and I have never looked back, Thank You Andy! Rest in Peace my friend and I wish you could be here to be apart of this.

I live in the mountains of western North Carolina with my wife of 5 years and our two dogs. I like to go hiking and I do a little photography from time to time. I love The Transformers in case that one slipped by you, I have a very nice collection maybe I will post it someday. I love to listen to music tastes range form Johnny Cash and George Jones to The Four Tops, The Temptations, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Social Distortion, The Replacements, REM, Seattle Grunge, Industrial, Old School Hip-Hop, Trance and House, The Pixies, The Cure, and I just stop here because I could go on forever. :lol:

I love using Peppermint and I count myself blessed to be apart of it. I hope we all get to meet each other one day to, that would be awesome!

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 pm 

Well A lot of you guys may Know me as (Jay514) on Linux Mint Forums( I am a Moderator There ) & other places around.
I would like to say that I became a Forum Moderator as a result of wishing to make the Forums a better place to be, A better Community,
& to Hopefully become a more Knowledgeable Linux User & To make new friends. A lot of the credit must go to users @ Linux Mint Forums, for being Helpful & making me feel welcome like no other previous Forum Had. I would like to name a few of those Users Here, for those of you that may Know = First & Foremost = Husse (Mats Grier) R.I.P. ,Past Moderator & Admin for Linux Mint Forums = A Great Man,Moderator,Instructor,& Friend to all who knew him. Also Some of The Devs There Exploder, Boo, Kendall, Clem = These are not just Devs, But people whom go out of their way to Help users in various situations & are really involved in their Communities as well as the Development of their various Linux Distros, I see this here as well & hope that I can fill some small gap in the Matrix of this Community as well.
About Me,
I Live outside Atlanta, Georgia, USA & work for a medium size Trucking Company.I have a Background in Welding, Weld Engineering, Diesel Mechanics, Computer Hardware & RAID Servers. I am a Family Man, with a Beautiful Wife, 2 Children, & 2 Dogs. I am in some ways quite simple & try to be easy going most of the time.
I have many Hobbies, Including But not limited to Computers, Linux, Linux Administration, Hardware, RAID, Amateur Radio Operator (Ham), Photography, Graphics, Engineering, Welding, Motorcycles, Gardening, Farming, Hunting, Trout Fishing, & Anything that Works or Goes FAST. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Hello everyone. I go by oldrong, and I joined the forum on June 4th, 2010 after beginning to use Peppermint One, and found it was perfect for me, and simply the best OS I had used. I subsequently started using Ice, because I find the cloud applications to be something that really fits my needs as a user. I started using computers for the first time in 1991, and I didn't know much about them then, and I don't feel I know anywhere enough about them yet.
I lean more towards mechanical things in my knowledge base. I have worked for years in "the trades" as we say in my country. I was in the plumbing, and HVAC business for many years, and worked in the public for over 40 years.
I am now working as a maintenance technician for a large office complex, where I keep about 100,000 sq. ft of leased space in good repair.
My experience with Linux goes way back to the late 90s when I began to experiment with "trying" to get an operating system to work.
I was discouraged by my lack of knowledge, or understanding as to how a system worked, and how to do what I needed to do to get my hardware to function in most cases.
Since coming to PeppermintOS, and this forum, I have learned far more than at any other forum I have ever been on, and I find the Peppermint team members to be some of the nicest, and friendliest folks I have ever had the pleasure to meet. There are some very knowledgeable users on this forum, and I continue to learn from them as well. I try to help when I can, but my knowledge is limited, so if I don't know the answer to a question, I will often offer a search method, as I have found this to be invaluable to me to find answers.
I was honored, and surprised when the team invited me to join as a forum moderator, but I accepted because I wanted to give a little something back to the operating system, and development team that created it.
If I am around, and you need something, feel free to PM me, and I will do what I can to help.

Ron

PeppermintOS Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm 

Y thank ya, very nice to meet you all, looking forward to conversing with you in the future, whether it be technical or humour.... yes I spelt that Britishly.... no im not British, Im an Aussie... :D You do a wonderful job with the forum and Im happy to be here... PeppermintOne is still my main OS and its fun to use and learn with... and a headache at times also... hehe.. cheers ya'll..

Registered linux user #454306
My machine has registration number #362486.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm 

Very pleasant to see you all.

I figure my accent too is very strong. But, don't worry: I'am a tolerant one...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 am 

Jay wrote:
I Live outside Atlanta, Georgia

Hey Jay. I will be moving to Marietta from Connecticut in the fall sometime. Perhaps we can meet up at the Atlanta Linux Fest or something. Always wanted to go to one of those.