Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Should I feel bad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 am 

joutlan wrote:
I'm using TrustPort on my Win7 box....best I've used and I've them all, free and not. :)

I'd like to know how long you've been using this and if it has worked really well.

I am getting ready to replace my mom's office computer because her old one is a home build that is not performing well. She is a lawyer and needs excellent security. I currently have her on Norton, but I have heard some bad things about Norton since I put her on it (she was on CA before, and I heard even worse things about that).

So I'd like to know if TrustPort is absolutely secure and has kept you virus and spyware free.

Post subject: Re: Should I feel bad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm 

One would think that normal everyday file transferring between systems would be pretty safe but there are viruses that "play possum" and do not activate until they are moved from a main server to a local host server and finally to a end users computer like the My Doom virus and the Conficker worm for example. So you can see the potential problems that some users could run into. Most viruses that are written these days have a certain degree of AI to them so they can adapt to changes in anti-virus software but if you see them early enough you can stop them before they cause to much damage, they also contain a fire and forget side to them so once they are given the launch command they go about their daily tasks without anymore instructions. There are also viruses that are embedded into files that make your system a zombie system. Once your system becomes a zombie it is linked into a cluster of usually three other zombie systems with a master system controlling the whole deal. This makes your system a spam machine that spreads the virus to other systems through the spam that you are unknowingly sending out. Just about every virus that is written these days are made for Windows systems so Linux systems are for the most part in the clear unless you are linked to a Window's machine and transfer a infected file from it to your Linux system.

Firewalls are a good way of keeping your system safe from folks who want to see what is on your system or hijack it so they can use it for whatever they want to. If you do not feel the need to have a anti-virus scanner or firewall on your system that is your choice. Always remember that the common assumption that Linux is impervious to viruses and other nasty programs is a myth, as long as you have a Window's system on your network your system can become compromised or infected.

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2