Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Migrating from Peppermint 3 to Peppermint 4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm 

I recall reading that Peppermint 4 has to be installed cleanly, so I'll have to wipe my Peppermint 3 partition. This is a bit of a disappointment because of the amount of editing I'm done to tweak things, but I'm willing to do it because I'd like to use the 64bit version (for some reason I installed 32bit Peppermint 3, even though I have 6gb of RAM).

I'm wondering, has anyone gone from 3 to 4, and how much trouble was it to get things back to the way you had them in Peppermint 3? Some of the config files I can probably just copy over once 4 is installed (such as my custom dock for cairo-dock), but I suspect some of the Peppermint 4 configs have changed, so copying the Peppermint 3 ones over could cause some problems. I had a fair amount of trouble getting Linux to deal with my Optimus motherboard (2 video cards) and getting the display to clone to my HDMI monitor, but I'm hoping now that I've done all that once, it won't be too bad the second time.

Also, I noticed that Peppermint 4 now uses xfwm4. How do you like it compared to openbox? I briefly tried it out a few months ago, but decided openbox has some features I couldn't live without (plus I preferred some of the openbox themes a bit more).

Finally, is there any major advantage to using 4 over 3? I know that it's based off Ubuntu 13.04, so I'm guessing that will allow me to get repository updates beyond the software versions I am limited to now (unless I misunderstand how the repository system works, I assumed it was OS version-dependent). I am already running the latest kernel, so in that respect, my current install isn't vastly different from Peppermint 4.

In all likelihood, I'll wait until my winter break (I'm a busy PhD. student) to move over to Peppermint 4. I wish I had left an empty partition on my hdd, so I could just install Peppermint 4 alongside 3 and slowly migrate things over and get everything set up the way I like before wiping 3. I suppose I should considering the dictum "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" and maybe just leave things the way they are, but I'm curious by nature.

Post subject: Re: Migrating from Peppermint 3 to Peppermint 4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:16 pm 

Even if it were possible to "upgrade" Peppermint, it still wouldn't have been advisable between 3 and 4 .. we made some significant changes to the window manager (and therefore the config files in your home directory) in Peppermint 4, which now uses the xfmw4 window manager, and has done away with a lot of the openbox stuff.

A fresh install is the only safe option .. leaving the old configs behind is highly likely to cause issues.

Obviosly you could backup your docs and stuff, and possibly the chromium browser configs, and if used firefox/thunderbird profiles etc.

[EDIT]

Quote:
Finally, is there any major advantage to using 4 over 3?

Erm, not really .. in your case PM3 probably installed a PAE kernel so it can still access your 6GB RAM

In some respects PM3 may be a better bet .. it will recieve updates for longer than PM4 (being based around the Ubuntu LTS release.
Particularly if you don't want the xfwm4 window manager .. then you may as well stick with PM3 until PM5 which will again be built around the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
version.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 am 

Hi,

I "upgraded" from P3 to P4 by shrinking my P3 root (/) partition, moving things around somewhat and then adding a new partition for P4's root (/) and doing a fresh install (after backing up important items, just in case ;) ). So I still have P3 to use if I decide to use it. Plus, when P5 comes I will probably just install it over one of the two existing ones (P3 or P4) without having to fart around repartitioning anything :lol: .

But since you prefer Openbox to xfwm4 (as I also do) then I too would suggest (as PCNetSpec suggested) just staying with P3 until P5 arrives -- especially if you are so busy and don't have the time to install Openbox and configure things the way you want to have them. Even using my old Openbox config files from the P3 home (/home/user) partition, I still had to invest quite a bit of time getting things set up the way I like to have them in Openbox.

Best regards,

-- Slim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm 

Being gullible and believing Peppermint's hype regarding PM4 being great for older systems, I upgraded from PM3 to 4 and it has been an absolute waste of another day of my life, and once again largely due to F#*%$ing Adobe Flashplayer not actually playing and just jamming the system.
It jams the system, then doesn't allow you access the 'settings' to resolve the problem. If you then try to contact Adobe, they gratiously let you write a long message explaining their mess and only after, do they politely inform you that you actually have to register with the Devil (aka Adobe) in order to send it!!!!!!!

WTF!!!

24 hours ago I started this install and with all the software reinstalls and personalisation, I was only just finishing, when I went to play some news videos and only had half a SERIOUSLY ANNOYING painfully slow-buffering, speckled video display and only in green and purple. Didn't matter which site, nor whether Youtube, Firefox or Chromium.

In fact, I used to use Ubuntu until it deleted almost 10 years of absolutely irreplaceable images and data after pestering me for ages to upgrade, even though up til then I had never been happier with any OS.
Since that disaster, I have been switching betweeen various Mints and Peppermints but all keep failing on me, but at least they are now all backed up. In fact I have 13 backups from this year alone due to repeated system crashes and failing programs, Firefox and Flash being among the main useless culprits.

My verdict? Regardless of whether Peppermint boast that PM4 works on older machines (like mine), unless you have a dual core with 4 gig of Ram, then don't touch it....
Same thing, avoid Mint, Ubuntu, obviously never Windows, and Mac just break when you fart in the same room as them!!!

Wish I could be more positive, but I SHOULD NOT have to format and reinstall my computers every month due to OS failings!

I am now ONCE AGAIN formatting this drive in order to reinstall PM3!!! Grrr!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:53 pm 

Yeah. PM3 works great for me, so I've decided to not upgrade. I have no need to upgrade when I can always just update the individual programs and components if I want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 am 

t4exanadu wrote:
I should considering the dictum "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" and maybe just leave things the way they are [...]

I'm just the opposite. I H-A-T-E it when things just work. LoL!

On the other hand, when I'm away from my comfort zone -- say 3,000 miles away from home -- I prefer a modicum of stability.

I started using Peppermint @ version 2. Loved it. It ran better on a USB stick than anything else -- and, I tried many, many distros. Never found a machine it wouldn't run on...

When Peppermint 2 was orphaned, I updated the core files to Peppermint 3, e.g. Peppermint 2 UI on a Peppermint 3 core. So, it IS possible to mix n' match, but I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you're an advanced user, for lack of another term.

Peppermint 4 is worth the effort. I L-O-V-E LXDE/Openbox, but it is rather kludgy looking.

xfwm4 rounds out the package nicely. Smart move, on the devs part!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 am 

Gazucha wrote:
My verdict? Regardless of whether Peppermint boast that PM4 works on older machines (like mine), unless you have a dual core with 4 gig of Ram, then don't touch it....
Same thing, avoid Mint, Ubuntu, obviously never Windows, and Mac just break when you fart in the same room as them!!!

Wish I could be more positive, but I SHOULD NOT have to format and reinstall my computers every month due to OS failings!

I am now ONCE AGAIN formatting this drive in order to reinstall PM3!!! Grrr!!!

Erm I feel I have to respond to this...

You yourself suggest it's possibly an Adobe flashplayer issue, so why are you labelling it an "OS failure" ?
(If third party software failed in Windows, would you consider it a Windows failure ?)

Adobe no longer support Linux so there hasn't been a new flashplayer for some time .. the Adobe flashplayer version in PM3 and PM4 is the same.

If you'd have asked on this forum before reinstalling PM3 you would probably have been advised to try switching to Chrome's pepperflash (documented on this forum) or possibly to disable the xfwm4 compositor which is probably the only other thing that's different in PM4 and *might* affect your system.

Peppermint 4's resource footprint *is* marginally (a few MB) larger than PM3 with "marginally" being the operative word (we considered the benefits of the compositor worth the very small trade-off) .. PM4 should be every bit as good on older hardware as PM3.
(except of course old machines that don't support PAE)

Accusing Team Peppermint of being misleading, then trying to put others off based on your experience with a single install that you made no attempt to troubleshoot with us seems a bit unfair to me

That said, you're entitled to your opinion, and there's certainly nothing wrong with users sticking with Peppermint 3 if they're happy with it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:44 am 

Hi PCNetSpec,

you are correct in that my gripe was as a result of 3rd party software and not the PepperMint system, so I apologise for that.

So before I format the drive again, let's try and fix it...

Disabled display compositor with no joy.

Can't locate Pepperflash and doesn't work in Chromium either.

Shame I can't add an attachment or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 am 

Give this a shot:
Using Chrome's PepperFlash flashplayer in Chromium
and cross your fingers this isn't a driver issue ;)

Just as a matter of interest, how borderline is your RAM .. how much do you have ?