Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrade to Peppermint four
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:02 pm 

What is the best way to move to peppermint four from three? Can you upgrade or do you have to do a complete re-install as if you are starting from scratch? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really not sure and I don't' see that addressed in the installation information. Thanks. Jeff

Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Peppermint four
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm 

READ THIS

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 pm 

Mac, I'm trying to install peppermint four but the option I want is not available. I want to install peppermint four over peppermint three. The options are to install it beside of peppermint three or to wipe the disk and install it. Neither of which I want to do. I need to add that I also want to keep window xp on this machine in case I need it. Right now it will dual boot either to peppermint three or to windows. How can I install peppermint four so I can dual boot either to windows xp or peppermint four? If I install it along side I will have three systems which I don't want. I would think this should be an issue that many people would face. Thanks. Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 pm 

Boot to the LiveCD Desktop and install by choosing the "Install Peppermint 4" icon. You will (slowly) come to the Install window --- choose your language and continue. In the second Install window, under "Preparing to Install" there will be a couple of options for you to choose. Choose your options and then continue. This will bring you to the Installation Type window. The last option in that window is "Something else." Choose "Something else" and you can partition your drive as you like.

Post back if you encounter any problems.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm 

I tried to do what you described and select something else. But when I get to that point I'm still not sure what to do. I don't see a clear way to select the partition for the new installation. For me the it's very confusing and unintuitive so I'm just lost. Sorry to be so dumb but I'm afraid to just try something and then really have a problem using my computer. It there could just be a clear step by step set of instructions to do it that would really help. Thanks. Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 pm 

jlschwartz@jlschwartz-AOA150 ~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 149.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 4.9G 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 101.7G 0 part
├─sda3 8:3 0 1K 0 part
├─sda5 8:5 0 41.6G 0 part /
└─sda6 8:6 0 1010M 0 part [SWAP]
jlschwartz@jlschwartz-AOA150 ~ $ fdisk -1
fdisk: invalid option -- '1'
Usage:
fdisk [options] <disk> change partition table
fdisk [options] -l <disk> list partition table(s)
fdisk -s <partition> give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
-b <size> sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
-c[=<mode>] compatible mode: 'dos' or 'nondos' (default)
-h print this help text
-u[=<unit>] display units: 'cylinders' or 'sectors' (default)
-v print program version
-C <number> specify the number of cylinders
-H <number> specify the number of heads
-S <number> specify the number of sectors per track

jlschwartz@jlschwartz-AOA150 ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 42G 9.3G 31G 24% /
udev 488M 4.0K 488M 1% /dev
tmpfs 198M 824K 198M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 495M 1.3M 494M 1% /run/shm
jlschwartz@jlschwartz-AOA150 ~ $

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 pm 

Short answer to your original question .. NOPE there is no (easy/reliable) way to UPGRADE Peppermint 3 to Peppermint 4 .. you'll want to backup your data, then do a fresh install.

Long answer - Whilst theoretically it's possible to swap repositories and upgrade, this nearly always results in a broken system .. as Kendall pointed out in the other topic, Peppermint releases are based on every other Ubuntu release, so if you were going to try swapping repos and upgrading you'd have to do it twice 12.04 --> 12.10 then 12.10 --> 13.04 .. the chances of this not breaking something is low, so best to do a fresh install.
(going directly from 12.04 -->13.04 is probably even more likely to break something)

So backup your data .. then select to replace Peppermint 3 during the install .. then copy your data back.
(ie. a "fresh" install)

If you have a separate /home partition it would be possible to keep it's contents, a lot of people advise having a separate /home for just this reason .. personally I don't even advise this, as home contains a lot of hidden config files that "probably" won't cause issues, but "may".
(I'm not suggesting a separate /home partition is a bad idea, it's not .. it's certainly handy if the root partition ever becomes corrupted .. just that I *personally" don't keep it's contents across an OS upgrade)

Besides which, IMHO a fresh install is usually more efficient, as it'll clear out any leftover libraries, configs, and dependencies from uninstalled software, etc.

I hope that clears things up, if not just ask :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 pm 

mac .. if you're going to format the current partitions, why not just choose the option to replace Peppermint 3 .. the rest will be done automatically.
(or am I missing something ?)

I think he meant can you UPGRADE Peppermint 3 to Peppermint 4 .. which though theoretically possible, isn't IMHO advisable (certainly unless you know how to dig yourself out of a very likely and very deep hole ;) ) .. see my last reply ;)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 pm 

You're right, PCNetSpec, of course. No need to take the long way around. I misunderstood the OP's intent. :oops: Upgrade, as you say, should have been a hint.

I removed a couple of my posts in this thread to avoid confusion (or I should say further confusion). Thanks Mark.

@Jeff
Sorry I misunderstood what you wanted to do. . . . continue as PCNetSPec posted.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm 

I would gladly select an option to replace peppermint 3 with peppermint 4 but there is no option for that on the install that I have. Please point out how I can do that. I just need to end up with a dual boot so I can boot peppermint 4 or windows XP as I do now. The only options on my install is to either add peppermint 4 along side of both peppermint 3 and Windows or to format the entire disk and install peppermint 4 only. Thanks. Jeff