Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Peppermint2 installs to desktop but not Netbook (Solved)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 pm 

I have installed and used Peppermint One and Peppermint Ice successfully in the past on my Compaq Presario SR1603WM desktop. I have also installed and used these same operating systems on my Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301 netbook. The installation process has been smooth and predictable.

Not so much with Peppermint 2. I did successfully install Peppermint 2 on my Compaq Presario desktop. It runs smoothly. I am very impressed. I did observe that a bright whitish area obscured the background of the console during initial boot up into the live desktop. Normally a Peppermint logo would be displayed here. Once installed Peppermint 2 boots as expected with the splash screens etc. properly displayed and the desktop appeared with the desired settings by default.

Peppermint2 live cd will not boot to the desktop on my Acer Aspire One D255. It drops off at the command prompt. Attempts to start X from the command prompt result in the cd (on an external drive) spinning. A standard warning message regarding X is displayed on the screen and the command prompt is once again displayed.

I shutdown and restarted. This time I selected the option to install Peppermint instead of booting to live cd. This time the install application box appeared as expected. The anticipated dialogue bubble appeared in the upper right hand corner of the screen regarding a network connection. However there is no taskbar, system tray or icons visible. The install process stops with a box that shows the selection for internet connection not ticked. The process stalls here. It is not possible to proceed from this point forward. It is also not possible to connect with the internet as there is no way to access the network applet that normally is displayed in the system tray.

Any ideas?

link to my inxi -F for Compaq Presario SR1603WM Desktop

Last edited by jmculv on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Peppermint2 installs to desktop but not Netbook
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:27 pm 

Are you trying the 32 or 64-bit on the netbook?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:31 pm 

32 bit of course. I just downloaded and burned the 32bit version.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:33 pm 

Just curious. (the more info we have, the more we can help you) Unfortunately, I know very little about netbooks, so someone more knowledgeable will have to help you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 pm 
I had this happen on two of my three desktops, on a new R/W CD burned, then I tried it on an older R/W DVD, same ISO, and it worked fine, so I am at a loss as to why this occurs, but it is definitely something that has been mentioned several times since Friday. I don't think it has a thing to do with netbooks. I believe it is a possibly bug of some sort, because it happens on several types of rigs. JMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:06 pm 

Quote:
I believe it is a possibly bug of some sort, because it happens on several types of rigs. JMO

This would seem to be the case. I was concerned with the desktop install because of the "reverse negative" effect of having a white background area during the time in which the console is being displayed during boot up and as you say the fact that one iso burned to cd will work on one rig and not the other.

I can say that the desktop installation is a treat to work with. I would like to use it on the netbook as soon as a solution for this issue is offered.

Thank you for the responses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:09 pm 

Do you have a spare USB flash drive laying around? If you do, you could use Unetbootin to burn a live USB using the .iso file and use that to install. There were some issues getting the 64-bit to run after burning a drive with Unetbootin but, if I remember correctly, 32 works just fine. Just a thought. (I have them occasionally ;))

Post subject: Re: Peppermint2 installs to desktop but not Netbook (Solved)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 pm 

I marked this as solved because I found a work around for this problem.

I decided try one more time to install Peppermint 2 on my Acer Aspire One D255. I selected the install option from the boot menu.

As I described in the first post of this thread selecting this option caused the installation process to initialize. Also the dialouge bubble with a message "Wireless Networks are Available". As in my first experience attempting to install this OS I observed that the panel, system tray and menu failed to load.

This time I right clicked on the desktop background area. The default Open Box menu popped up. And there it was; a menu entry labeled "terminal". I clicked on that menu item and the terminal opened on the desktop. Whew....

From there it was easy. I typed "lxpanel" at the prompt and voila there it was! I connected withe network and engaged the install process. Everything went as expected.

i am posting from Peppermint 2 on my Acer netbook at this moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:00 pm 

Excellent
This dropping to openbox quirk seems to be popping up, thanks for posting how you got around it.

Could you please run
Code:
inxi -F
in terminal and either post it here or in the thread "What do you have Peppermint" installed on then link to it for reference.

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:03 pm 

Yeah, it's great that you found a workaround and thanks for posting it. This will be a great thread to refer people to who are having this problem.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next