Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Additional info for new users, please - solved
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:00 am 

Thank you for the useful section for new users. Have a few suggestions, based on things I have found I need to know, and think there will be many new users like myself, who have only used Windows before and aren't very software literate.

I am very happy with the simplicity and general user friendliness of Peppermint 4, however there are some unfamiliar things.

So.

Main questions are:

Housekeeping

1) How do you clean cookies, delete history etc?
2) Is there a program for cleaning the registry?
3) How do you put the rubbish bin on the desktop?
4) How do you find things you have downloaded?

There were others but I can't remember what they were right now!

Finally - the antivirus thing. You have a very useful and thorough piece on why it isn't necessary and suggesting the clamtk one. But - many people who do internet banking are aware that banks only cover you for fraud if you have a recognised brand of internet security installed, and for this reason, I would be inclined to be over-cautious and have internet security/antivirus installed.

Have tried to read up on the internet, and various articles say that bit defender, avast and avg do internet security for linux - but then it becomes complicated. When you go to their sites, it isn't easy to find a Linux download (Avg is also too complicated to use for a novice like me! No pictures, just words). Also, these providers list which Linux their software is suitable for, and while they usually mention Puppy or Mint, they don't mention Peppermint, so is it safe to assume that suitability for Ubuntu covers Peppermint in this regard?

In addition to firewall I also downloaded the two rootkit software programs, but believe that some of the above internet security software includes anti rootkit.

So - I think ex windows users would appreciate one piece of software that did everything - firewall, antirootkit and was also called antivirus internet security of some kind - to keep them covered in case of bank fraud.

With this in mind, which would you recommend? Does anyone on here use bitdefender or avast, which are the two I saw best recommendations for? And where is the best site to download them from, as couldn't find linux versions on cnet and their own websites didn't seem to show linux versions.

Apologies for long post - but thought it might lead to less questions from newbies!

Last edited by serendipity7000 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Additional info for new users, that might be useful plea
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:51 am 

Hi serendipity

I'm fairly new to Linux as well

Quote:
1) How do you clean cookies, delete history etc?

You would do that from you web browser settings just as would with Windows, how it's done obviously depends on what browser you use, I use Chromium and it's simply settings-Tools-Clear Browsing Data

Quote:
2) Is there a program for cleaning the registry?

There is no registry, everything in Linux is either a file or a directory

Quote:
3) How do you put the rubbish bin on the desktop?

Good question don't know but it probably involve using a symlink(Shortcut in Windows) but to be honest I'm not really sure how to that, however I know it's an easy matter if you're using Cairo Dock

Quote:
4) How do you find things you have downloaded?

In the same way you would find them in Windows it's normally /home/downloads unless you specifically change it to another location.

As for the rest of your question regarding internet security I will leave that to someone more knowledgeable in these matters, I've never used any Anti Virus software, firewall or internet security since moving over to Linux because I've never felt I've needed it, but then I don't do internet banking so I'm really not qualified to form an opinion on that.

As for user friendliness I would say there's not much in it Windows is almost as user friendly as Linux

Graeme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:58 am 

A little effort on the part of the user and they would discover that the vast majority of the questions they would ask have already been asked and answered on the forum. There is a "Search" option just beneath the Peppermint banner that can be used to search for posts dealing with problems / issues you might be facing. Also, you can google
Code:
site: peppermintos.net keyphrase
and find posts relating to your issue. For example, to search the forum posts regarding gufw.....
Code:
site: peppermintos.net gufw

Linux is not like Windows.....and IMHO it shouldn't be. There is a learning curve for those coming to Linux just like it was when they started with Windows. A little time, a little effort, a little help from others and most people can learn the basics in pretty short order whether they're coming from Windows or with no computer experience at all. Facing an issue, working through it, interacting with other users is how you learn and, again IMHO, one of the joys of using Linux.

Well, enough of that...Enjoy the world of Linux!

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 am 

Yup, Linux is NOT Windows :)

If you are behind a NAT router you shouldn't need a firewall unless you want to block outbound connections, or maybe block traffic on your internal network.

AV - Viruses are pretty much unheard of in the Linux world, there are many reasons for this, but here's the top 5

1) downloaded binary executables arriving from the outside world have the "execute" bit disabled .. so would need you to manually enable that bit before they could execute.

2) User privileges - files run as a "user" don't have permission to do anything outside of your home folder, so cannot damage anything outside of your home folder.
(if you're daft enough to run software from untrusted sources, with "root" privileges you may kill your whole OS, but it's unlikely you would or could transmit anything to another Linux computer)

3) If you get your software through the default software repositories, that software has already been checked for malicious code

4) nearly all software in the repositories are open source, so you can check the source code yourself .. now I'm not suggesting everyone has the ability to do this, but enough do that malicious code would VERY quickly be spotted and fixed or removed.

5) Security patches for any discovered vulnerabilities (unlike Windows) are released as soon as they are ready .. no waiting for "Patch Tuesday"

Linux and Unix before it were designed from the ground up to be secure network environments .. Windows on the other hand was (like MS DOS before it) designed "at first" to be a stand alone OS with no networking capability, so wasn't designed with security in mind .. since then Windows has had to keep backwards compatibility so they CANNOT start again from scratch as it were (which would be necessary) .. so they're effectively in a continual running battle to fix something that is unfixable.

I'm NOT saying Linux viruses aren't possible .. they are, there have been a few, mainly "proof of concept" viruses created in labs .. what I am saying is that they will be irradiated VERY quickly, and will have done nearly NO damage should they get into the wild.

Linux AV applications tend to be for scanning for Windows viruses on say Linux mail servers to protect Windows clients.

You DO NOT generally need AV or (as long as you're behind a NAT router) a firewall on a Linux desktop PC .. don't let the fact that in the Windows world these things are accepted as a necessary part of computing colour your judgement .. they aren't.
(nor should you listen to AV companies whio have a vested interest in saying they are)

Further reading: -

Rick's Rants - Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?

The short life and hard times of a Linux virus

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm 

Thank you very much for all those helpful replies. Apologies for not searching properly and thank you for the search suggestions and links.

I am enjoying the experience and getting to know Linux - but it is like learning a whole new language!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:50 pm 

No apology necessary, serendipity7000...just wanted to let you know (and others who don't know) of the options you have to find answers & solutions. Do not hesitate to ask anything on the forums with which you need help. A little personal searching beforehand, though, might help users better understand the responses they get or they may even find the solution themselves without having to ask and then wait for a reply (although, most questions on the Peppermint forum are answered in pretty timely fashion). Hey, it's all good! Have fun with it.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44