Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Installation Issues using USB flash drive (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:29 pm 

rjm65 wrote:
Is Peppermint 5 going to be the solve all solution to all the problems people have been having with video cards and processors and what not???

I doubt that .. what I'm saying is - Is it worth attempting to troubleshoot Peppermint 4, when she already has Peppermint 3 installed, and Peppermint 5 isn't that far off ?

Even if we get it working with Peppermint 4 .. Peppermint 5 might throw in its own curve ball ;)

I suppose you could try a Lubuntu 14.04 (daily build) LiveCD/LiveUSB .. if that boots, Peppermint 5 should too when it's released.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:
rjm65 wrote:
Is Peppermint 5 going to be the solve all solution to all the problems people have been having with video cards and processors and what not???

I doubt that .. what I'm saying is - Is it worth attempting to troubleshoot Peppermint 4, when she already has Peppermint 3 installed, and Peppermint 5 isn't that far off ?

Even if we get it working with Peppermint 4 .. Peppermint 5 might throw in its own curve ball ;)

I suppose you could try a Lubuntu 14.04 (daily build) LiveCD/LiveUSB .. if that boots, Peppermint 5 should too when it's released.

That is worth a shot huh, I will do that as soon as i look up where to get such a release from....
seeing as I have two machines here yet that won't run peppermint 4 without issues I got me some good test subjects for that task... LOL :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:59 pm 

Lubuntu 14.04 daily builds:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/pending/

Direct download:-

32bit:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily ... p-i386.iso

64bit:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily ... -amd64.iso

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:

i googled it and it is burning now will let you know how i make out I am gonna try it on the Infamous IBM T22 we had all the problems with.... LOL Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee here we go.... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm 

I went out for a smoke while Lubuntu was installing and it blanked the screen on me, I went to move my mouse and i am stuck at a locked screen and have no clue how to get back in... I tried a multitude of username and password combos none work... I google Lubuntu username and password and nobody has one... I have no idea how far along the install is now, all I can do is watch my hard drive light, and listen for the cdrom sounds, and hope I can guess when it is done, and power button it off.... So glad the Peppermint team has a clue about these things..... :)

Last edited by rjm65 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 pm 

OK here is the scoop hot off the presses...
Lubuntu 14.04 daily build does boot up and does install on the infamous IBM T22....
However they still do not have the boot screens fixed which is shocking cause LXLE and PCLinuxOS screens work on the IBM T22... and lxle is a 12.04 build shocking..... Booted to the desktop using only 88 megs ram, I no longer see Zeitgeist which i always remove, will have to check if they still have xapian indexer running also cause that is a must remove also....

Ok the xapian index and zeitgeist are no longer in lubuntu....

it reboots and shuts down now also....

only thing i see that was not fixed is the boot up splash screens.... no biggie.... :)
Maybe the Peppermint boys can fix those splash screens huh??????

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:25 am 

Hopefully we'll be able to install Peppermint 5 on our oold tired PC's, hehe.

I am definitely getting more RAM :-)! Some webpages I load completely slooow the machine down. I had forgotten what it was like to only have 512mb :? .

Thanks again for all your help!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 am 

AmeliaBedelia88 wrote:
Hopefully we'll be able to install Peppermint 5 on our oold tired PC's, hehe.

Well if it is any consolation to you The Infamous IBM T22 laptop, was the machine that caused me to download over 50 distros, and I found only 3 that would install on it.... It was a real P I T A machine... I was able to boot the new lubuntu 14.04 daily from a live cdrom, and also able to install it, and I played with it for about 30 or 40 minutes, and all is fine with it....
I trust since the Lubuntu works fine, that the peppermint 5 they are going to make from that build of lubuntu will also work fine....

AmeliaBedelia88 wrote:
I am definitely getting more RAM :-)! Some webpages I load completely slooow the machine down. I had forgotten what it was like to only have 512mb :?

Yes 512 in my opinion is the bare minimum you should have for a working and usable linux box...
Only because most linux distros if you just install them without tweaking them use about 120 megs ram to get to the desktop, then when you open firefox that uses anywhere from 200 to 250 megs of ram so 370 megs is gone now of your 512 there is not much left at this point for anything else to run....