Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installation Issues using USB flash drive (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hello, all!

I want to install Peppermint OS on my computer. I'm currently using Windows XP. My CPU is Intel, Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz, 512mb of RAM.

I used UNetbootin to creat the bootable USB Flash Drive, and when that one failed, I used LinuxLive USB Creator. Neither of them worked. What would happen is this: I'd start the machine, choose to boot it from the USB HDD, and the installation screen would appear. I would go down to the "Install Peppermint OS" option, press ENTER, and then nothing would happen. I rebooted it, and tried clicking on "Try Peppermint OS", and the same thing would happen. If I pressed ESC, the following text showed up: "aborted. Boot:". I did not know how to go from there, so I'm at a loss :cry: .

Any suggestions?

Last edited by AmeliaBedelia88 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Installation Issues using USB flash drive
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm 

Hi AmeliaBedelia88, how's it going? Try this, boot up your live ISO but instead of selecting install from the boot screen just open the live session. You will see a desktop launcher to install Peppermint OS Four. Use this and you should be able to install Peppermint without any issues. The method you are using doesn't work :( . I hope this helps and have fun :D !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 am 

Thanks! You know, I tried that yesterday... and it still wouldn't work. I'm starting to think there may be a problem with my hardware. I had a LUbuntu CD lying around, and I thought it might be easier to install Peppermint once I had a Linux OS up and running. I rebooted, started the machine on LUbuntu, "tried it", and when I wanted to install it... it would not execute the command.
Also, just to be sure there wasn't a problem with my USB drive, I burned Peppermint 4 on a CD... and the same exact thing happened.
Could the problem be the hardware?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 am 

AmeliaBedelia88 wrote:
Thanks! You know, I tried that yesterday... and it still wouldn't work. I'm starting to think there may be a problem with my hardware. I had a LUbuntu CD lying around, and I thought it might be easier to install Peppermint once I had a Linux OS up and running. I rebooted, started the machine on LUbuntu, "tried it", and when I wanted to install it... it would not execute the command.
Could the problem be the hardware?

I had a few laptops like this that refused to run or install Linux distros, after downloading 50 or more distros and trying them all, I found that it was my hardware that was the problem, and that only 3 distros would work with my hardware....

Those 3 Distros were 1. Peppermint 3, 2. Antix 13.2 Full, 3. PCLinuxOS LXDE... Peppermint 3 is the easiest for new or even old linux users to grasp and comprehend how to use it, I guess I am trying to say it is the distro that is the most user friendly of the 3 mentioned....

Instead of trying peppermint 4, which is to my knowledge no longer receiving updates because it is past its end of life of 6 months, try peppermint 3 which is the LTS long term service, it is good for updates until 2017, and works great on older machines that have processor and or video card issues using other distros....

I have peppermint 3 running on an old gateway 650mhz pentium 3 machine with 512 ram and it works great, I also have it on my daughters 2.0ghz laptop with 1 gig ram and it really runs nice on that one....
My old gateway when it ran windows xp would use about 365megs of ram just to boot to the desktop with no programs running except for a light weight free antivirus program, I have Peppermint 3 all tweaked out and booting to the desktop using about 83 megs ram... My gateway never ran so fast as it does now...

Last edited by rjm65 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm 

Thank you very much! Peppermint 3 worked :-D! I am so happy :-D, hehehehe. I've just finished the installation, and everything is working properly.

I still wonder what the problem with my hardware was!

Thank you so much!!!!! Your help is very much appreciated :-D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

AmeliaBedelia88 wrote:
Thank you very much! Peppermint 3 worked :-D! I am so happy :-D, hehehehe. I've just finished the installation, and everything is working properly.

I still wonder what the problem with my hardware was!

Thank you so much!!!!! Your help is very much appreciated :-D.

I am glad my experience of downloading and trying to install 50 plus distros has helped someone out, I spent about 10 hours a day for like two weeks trying to get distros to work on a friends machine, and I spent a lot of time on several forums asking all kinds of questions... PCNETSPEC here on peppermint site knows his stuff and helped me out a lot, hopefully some of his knowledge has rubbed off on me... I have lists of text files now with things I need to do after installs, to make things leaner and meaner... Peppermint 3 really works though you should be happy... I had Issues with peppermint 4 but nothing like you had... My issue with peppermint 4 was it installed fine and worked fine, but when I went to shutdown or reboot it locked my computer, and I had to power button it to turn it off or reboot....

EDIT: If you need some tweaking guidance let me know via a personal message and I will tell you what things you can safely remove from boot up you don't need to run... I believe peppermint 3 boots using about 135 megs ram since you only have 512 ram you can probably get that tweaked down to about 85 megs ram removing some stuff...

Last edited by rjm65 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Installation Issues using USB flash drive (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:54 pm 

If Peppermint 3 works, but Peppermint 4 doesn't, it's highly likely you have a CPU that doesn't support PAE (Physical Address Extensions).

Peppermint 4 no longer has a non-PAE kernel.

That said, Peppermint 3 was built on an LTS (Long Term Support) release so will be good for a few years yet :)

=================================================

If you'd like .. you can check if your CPU supports PAE by opening a terminal and running:
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags

and checking the output for "pae" .. if it's listed your CPU does support PAE

@rjm65

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:03 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:

@rjm65

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

No Problem at all, any time I can help out I will certainly try my best....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm 

That's really cool news, 8-) another older computer has a new lease of life :P. It should go like a rocket too. I've not tried PM3 but all the reviews praise it. Its LTS too, I think its supported to 2017. That can't be bad. I'm looking forward to PM5 in May or June because its going to be LTS too. I hope you enjoy Peppermint as much as I do. Have fun :D !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:
If Peppermint 3 works, but Peppermint 4 doesn't, it's highly likely you have a CPU that doesn't support PAE (Physical Address Extensions).

Peppermint 4 no longer has a non-PAE kernel.

If you'd like .. you can check if your CPU supports PAE by opening a terminal and running:
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags

and checking the output for "pae" .. if it's listed your CPU does support PAE
)

PCNetSpec, I ran the code you suggested and the output included "PAE". This was what it said:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid

Could there be some other issue?

Once again, thanks everybody for your help and support! Extremely appreciated :-D.