Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My comp will not start after a pep4 install went wrong
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:42 am 

I installed pep4 succesfully. My comp is a d630. I only had an error with my wireless. It made the system hang at start and occasionally it would not shot down. I found a suggestion on how to fix this with installing a broadcom driver, which i did. Everything seemed to work reasonably, when I got a package error. Its an input output error about not being able to read the packages. It also stopped any running of programs. Being a bit lazy I decided to do a reinstall thinking the broadcom driver had messed up the system. After doing this I got an error trying to start up (input output error again) and was sent to the grub screen. But it was not able to startup. Getting a bit desperate I tried a working usb with another distro on it, I confirmed it works on another computer, but it would not even read it. Now somehow I managed to reinstall pep4, but on booting I get the exact same error. I am able to boot and get a functional computer from live usb and for some weird reason pep4 only, but I am not able to make a working install. I also tried to fix broken packages with a usb and dpgk but I am not allowed access to the packages so I can not fix.

I am pretty stuck and even though I have some experience with linux, I have never experinced anything like this and really dont know what to do. I hope somebody can help

Last edited by thorbs on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: peppermint broke my comp
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:52 am 

I dont know enough about partitioning. But I used gparted to go in a check the partition, and for some reason there is no swap partition. Could that be what is causing the problem, or is not important?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:19 am 

That title is a bit strong don't you think .. it's impossible for any software to physically damage hardware .. that would ALWAYS be considered a hardware fault as hardware should ALWAYS refuse to operate outside it's working parameters.

it "could" be a swap partition problem .. specially if your system is low on RAM ?

But if it's an I/O problem it's more likely a failing hard drive with bad sectors (this is backed up by the fact that it'll boot/run from a LiveUSB) .. have you checked the hard drives SMART data ?

If you have one, have you tried booting an earlier kernel ?

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:19 am 

Sorry english is not my first language, the title was not intended strong.

I will run a memory check and see if there is failing sectors

Post subject: Re: My comp will not start after a pep4 install went wrong
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am 

I used the usblive to test memory and harddisk, but it found no error. I wanted to use gparted to format the harddisk to start from new, but for some reason I am not allowed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 pm 

What do you mean by "you're not allowed to" ?

What exactly happens when you run Gparted, then try removing the partitions from the hard drive ?

make sure you're selecting the hard drive and not the USB stick .. and make sure no hard drive partitions are mounted.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 pm 

While you are using GParted from the USB stick, right click on the the partition you want to format/edit. For example on my installation, if it is the root partition / , it is:
Code:
/dev/sda1
In the drop down menu you will see, Unmount or, Mount. You need to make sure the partition is Unmounted before you can delete it. See here: GParted Unmount Example. It is the same for all the partitions before you can do any editing. I hope this helps and good luck ;) !!