Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems in setting up and using Peppermint 4 on Aspire one
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am 

I just joined the forum to try and get some help in setting up my Aspire one. Following the instuctions in the forum from 'Greaves', I successfully installed Pepermint 4 and connected it to my broadband.Now I have a number of problems.

1.The networking has somehow been disabled having been working perfectly well before, and I am unable to reconnect it. I put in my correct password and tick the boxes which say connect automatically to my router, but it remains disabled and no instructions appear to allow me to enable networking.
2. I need advice as to what software to download so that I can handle 'Word' documents, spreadsheets and Powerpoint. There are a confusing number of software packages listed in the Software manager.
3. I have an 8Gb expansion card which I had to remove in order to download Peppermint. It still has folders relating to the original OS lipus lite and needs to be reformatted. I cannot see how to do this, so it can be integrated into the memory of the computer, as it was before.
4.I am unsure if I need to install antivirus software and a firewall and if so what to use.
As you can see I am a complete novice to this game! If anyone can help I will be most grateful.

Post subject: Re: Problems in setting up and using Peppermint 4 on Aspire
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:57 am 

1) can you post the output from running these commands in a terminal:
Code:
rfkill list

and
Code:
sudo lshw -C network

2) Either LibreOffice (in the package managers) .. or Kingsoft Office (not in the repo's but has better support for .docx format)
If you need instructions for Kingsoft Office .. just ask.

3) It will NOT integrate into the system like it did with Linpus .. linpus used a weird union file system (aufs) to layer the SDcard into the file system .. that was IMHO a mistake, it made troubleshooting difficult/impossible.
Just use the SDcard to store your user files (docs, pics, music, etc.) rather than storing them in your home directory .. so they're not taking up room on the SSD.

4) IMHO You do not need AV in Linux (unless you're running it on a server that services Windows PC's)
Firewall .. again you don't need one as long as you're connecting through a NAT router.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am 

Thank you for replying to my questions. I have found your suggestions useful and my difficulties are partially solved.
1. The Wi fi switch had been deactivated, so when I switched it on again the internet functions are working well!
2.I have successfully dowloaded Libre Office writer from the options in Peppermint Software manager, however there doesn't seem to be an option of downloading the whole of Libre Office at once and I am not sure what other components I need to download in order to be able to do spreadsheets and Presentations similar to Powerpoint. Also when I try to open a document I cannot find a way of naming it, although I can write in it Ok. Also I am unsure what format I need to save it in in order for it to be opened by Word if I send it to a PC using Microsoft Office, and whether it will open Word docs. if they are sent to me? Is HTML the format for Word? I have tried to get these answers from Libre Office Help, but cannot navigate to where I can find the answers!
3. Thank you for the information that the SD card will not integrate into the main memory. Can you tell me how to format it so I can use it to store documents etc. At present it contains stuff relevant to Limpus lite.
4. I am sorry but I don't understand this answer. What would be a 'server that is running windows PCs' and what is a NAT router? The computer will be used with Wi fi broadband supplied by Virgin or the phone Coop.

I noticed a warning about being logged in as 'root' and that the only safe option is to be logged in as 'insane'! Is this a joke or a serious warning? What is 'root' or 'insane'?

I am sorry to be asking such basic questions, but I find it very difficult to understand the abreviations and to get the information from help programs. I am not a computer enthusiast and just want to get this Acer working reliably so that it will connect to the internet, do emails and do the equivalent of functions in Microsoft Office.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:50 pm 

1) Great :)

2) to install the FULL LibreOffice, open a terminal and run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

or if you JUST want to add the spreadsheet app "Calc", instead run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-calc

3) use menu > Preferences > Disks

be 100% sure to select the SD card reader in the left column .. then on the right under "Volumes" click the gear icon next to the "-" symbol .. select "Format" .. set type as

Type: Compatible with all systems and devices (FAT)

Click "Format"

4) If you connect to the internet through a router with a built in firewall, you do NOT need to be running a firewall in Linux.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com