Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to change wallpaper (solved)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:03 am 

hello,

I was wondering why every time I boot Peppermint ICE my wallpaper (selected from "/home/pictures") is gone and the standard Peppermint one is on display...

also I tried to save a photo at /usr/share/peppermint-ice/wallpapers to see if this solves the problem, but the system doesn't let me do that. An error message appears:

Error moving file: Permission denied

this is not a major issue. would like to know why / what to do, though, if possible.

thanks!

Last edited by al.adab on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: how to change wallpaper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 am 

You obviously installed updates prior to trying these things. ;) The wallpaper an copy and pasting issues are bugs. Open up the file manager to your home folder (should be default) and make sure you go under the view menu and select "Show Hidden." Then go to the .config/pcmanfm/ folder. Once there, delete the file pcmanfm.conf. That will solve your wallpaper issue. For some reason, this file is redundant on the system, causing a problem with the wallpaper.

The copy & paste thing isn't so easy to fix. It's a major bug with the latest release of PCManFM and there's no known way to fix it, short of going back to the previous version of PCManFM or installing a different file manager.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:42 am 

Drag and drop still works OK in pcmanfm though. Just open two instances to move things around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 am 

It all works in 0.9.7. Last time I reinstalled Pmint, I had it not update PCManFM and now I'm rockin' the version that works. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm 

al.adab wrote:
hello,

I was wondering why every time I boot Peppermint ICE my wallpaper (selected from "/home/pictures") is gone and the standard Peppermint one is on display...

also I tried to save a photo at /usr/share/peppermint-ice/wallpapers to see if this solves the problem, but the system doesn't let me do that. An error message appears:

Error moving file: Permission denied

this is not a major issue. would like to know why / what to do, though, if possible.

thanks!

You will need root permissions to write to that directory. Use
Code:
sudo mv whatever.jpg /usr/share/peppermint-ice/wallpapers
. I suspect you intend to replace the default image, which will work just fine.

You can edit /home/peppermint/.config/pcmanfm/pcmanfm.conf, replacing the entry after
Code:
wallpaper=
with whatever image you like. If your image name has spaces in it then you might be able to \escape them (e.g. "This Image.jpg" would be "This\ Image.jpg"), but if that doesn't work (it might not, I'm too lazy to test it :P ) then just rename the image file so that there are no spaces (and ideally no special characters at all, although hyphens and underscores are fine [but not at the beginning of the filename]).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:23 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
You will need root permissions to write to that directory. Use
Code:
sudo mv whatever.jpg /usr/share/peppermint-ice/wallpapers
. I suspect you intend to replace the default image, which will work just fine.

Or, if you don't want to command line it, Alt+F2 (or menu>run) and then type gksudo pcmanfm, your password (ignore the "Permission Denied" message) and copy the file. (unless it has spaces, but you can always rename the file before you move it)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:35 am 

just re-installed Peppermint and both dragging and copying&pasting files now work all right. Except that I still need to delete that .conf file to replace the standard wallpaper...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:15 pm 

If you haven't run a system update, the wallpaper should be working fine. Open up the file manager and hit Help>About. If it still says 0.9.7 for the version number, you're golden. It's only since the 0.9.8 update that the wallpaper and copy & paste issues cropped up. (copy and paste is only an issue with spaces in the names of the files and/or directories) If you want to leave it at version 0.9.7, just go into MintUpdate and go under Edit>Preferences, go to the Ignored Packages tab and add the packages pcmanfm, libfm0 and libfm-gtk0. That will stop PCManFM from updating from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8 and you won't have these problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am 

Done. Thank you and Happy New Year

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]