Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where's the update notification icon (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hi

I'm new to this forum but have been using peppermint two x64 since last year, and linux on and off for quite a few. Really loving peppermint two, you guys have done a great job :D . However I have a newbie question, is there a system tray applet that will alert me when there are new updates available in the repository?

I've not had much experience with Peppermints windowing environment (i'm using the default one), yet I know gnome has an applet for this. I did also try searching these forums and Google, sadly to no avail. I am looking for something similar to the Gnome applet, yet I don't think it would work since I'm not using Gnome.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great, thanks in advance :)

Last edited by ioannes1983 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Applet Query
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 pm 

You can add the update manager to the panel, and I believe it will give notice with a red x when updates are up, but I may be incorrect on that part. I think it keeps a green check mark when all is up to date. If someone from the distro shows up, then can verify, or not.

EDIT: I was incorrect, the icon has a blue dot with an i in the middle when updates are availble, not a red x.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 pm 

Cheers for the reply hacksaw.

Do you know how I would add the update manager to the panel. I've had a look and the closest thing I can find is adding an "application launch bar" however that just adds the static update manager icon, with no indication as to status of updates,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 pm 

I'm not on Peppermint at he moment, but the next time I boot in to it, I will look and see what I "think" I did, and post back here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:42 pm 

I believe they changed the updater from One, and Ice, so if I remember correctly, I downloaded the mintupdate (as was used on the first two) and installed it because it does give the notifiers. Get it from here:
http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/linuxmint/pool/main/m/mintupdate/

EDIT: I have been trying to duplicate what I did, and I am missing something, and can't figure out what it is. I did a fresh install and tried to duplicate it, but no success so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm 

Well I gave your mintupdate idea a go, after also downloading a mintmirror.deb package I was able to get it to install. But when I tried to execute it nothing happened and it spat some junk out to the console. So I gave up and uninstalled it.

However I managed to find some info about how this works in ubuntu. They have a program called update-notifier which seems to do what I want , however there was some controversy in ubuntu 9 (maybe I'm wrong about the version here) where they decided that a notification icon was to small a space to convey an intuitive update symbol so instead they canned that idea and switched to making update-manager open under your applications when it needed an update (why they think this is a good idea, i dunno maybe they are delusional).

They left the original functionality in the update-notifier program and it can be restored with some changes to it's gconf settings. I've done this, but it only appears when updates are available, so far no real updates have been, but I've noticed that the icon was appearing when I was messing around with the mintupdate stuff. It was a false alarm, but at least it shows that the program can still display the icon, So now I'm waiting for a real update to verify it works. Funnily enough this program is installed by default with peppermint two, just never set to autostart, so i'm hoping this will work :)

Once one happens I will report back here with my results. If it does work I'll post details about how to enable this on the system.

Last edited by ioannes1983 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

I got the same result as you when I tried it on the fresh install. Evidently something has changed in updates, or somewhere that prohibits it from working now.
I still have it working on my original install from when 2 first appeared, but I can't duplicate it on this new one, and my memory isn't telling me how exactly I accomplished it the first time. Frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:28 pm 

I can now confirm that my experiment with the ubuntu update-notifier program has worked :D
I switched on today and the update icon appeared, and when I clicked to view the updates there was a legit update waiting installation :D

I'll now post some details as to how to achieve this in case anyone else has the issue.

First off ensure you have the "update-notifier" program installed (it was installed by default for me)

Now you need to make it startup when you login I did this by going to "/etc/xdg/lxsession/Peppermint" and and modifying the "autostart" file here. Add "@update-notifier" to the end of the file and save it (you will have to be root, to do this).

Finally we need to restore the old tray icon behaviour to do this you need to change a variable in gconf it's "/apps/update-notifier/auto_launch" , change to "false".

A minor tweak which is option is that if you want to be notified immediately about non critical updates you need to change a second gconf value
"/apps/update-notifier/regular_auto_launch_interval" to "0" .
Otherwise the icon may not show non critical updates until the value of this variable in days has expired

That should be it done :)

P.S now gonna mark this topic as solved and change the topic name to something that better fits the problem

Post subject: Re: where's the update notification icon (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 am 

Pardon a Peppermint/Ubuntu/Gnome newb (Gentoo & KDE for most of my Linux experience), but can you be more specific about where to find "gconf" to edit the auto_launch entry?

Thanks!
Bill