Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [SOLVED]How do I back-up my complete install.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 pm 

Another newbie question!

I have installed and got Peppermint just the way I want it.
I would like to make a back up of it so if something does go wrong (it did when I first used Linux.....don't format the hard drive thinking it's the USB stick!!!) I can re-install from a Live DVD/USB then just reinstall my software to how it is now.

I tried to follow the how to for installing Mintbackup but it's not working.

What else can I do?

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by wiggy25 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How do I back-up my complete install.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 pm 

I've never tried it, but I've seen discussion of a program called remastersys.

Try searching Google for (without quotes) "site:peppermintos.net remaster"

http://remastersys.sourceforge.net/remastersystool.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:13 pm 

If you do an ISO from your actual desktop, is it not be exactly that pictures and settings?

I don't know about that. When an "accident" occur to me, usually I reinstall from new. To me, it looks easier and quickier.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm 

Thanks guys for the replies.

I looked at the link for remastersys, I couldn't actually find the download link, lots of download buttons for other rubbish mind you!

@ Chichille8, you could be right just doing a full install but deleting/adding the software packages that I use and resetting the desktop how I want it.
I was just hoping to save doing that if anything did go wrong.

I thought it was possible to do this using mintbackup which could be installed on peppermint one and ice but not on two unfortunately.
There is on Menu > System Tools > "Nepomuk Backup" but for some reason it doesn't work on mine, not too sure whats going on there, just get a fault message saying "The Nepomuk Backup service does not seem to be running. Back ups cannot be handled without it.

Hopefully the PPA for mintbackup will be added so that it can be installed as it's an easy way to do it.

Cheers

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:01 pm 

Fromhttp://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/debian.html
Quote:
The Remastersys repository needs to be added to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Paste the following into the sources.list:

# Remastersys Lenny
deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository debian/

# Remastersys Squeeze
deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository squeeze/

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 pm 

Would you like to know how to do this with an easy native CLI alternative, or do you have your mind set on a secondary program w/ GUI method?
By "easy" I mean 3 terminal commands to create the backup
3 commands to restore everything the way it was.
No external media(unless you want to store your backup on a USB), no LiveCD's(unless you've rendered your system unbootable), no installing of programs.

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 am 

That would be perfect.

Alll I want to be able to do is save my current set up to my external hard drive or a USB stick so that if I have to re-install everything it's easy to just load back current my set up.

I need to start getting my head around the CLI more and to actually learn to use it, so yes that would be great thanks.

Cheers

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 pm 

link
The thread goes on for over 100 pages, but everything you need to know to get you started is in the first post.
Compression does take a while, especially if you use Bzip2.
It results in a tarball in your root directory, that you can then do with as you please.
I usually choose to exclude Videos, Music & Pictures as "compressing" compressed files is resource intensive to say the least.
It's not 100% foolproof(nothing is), but I've used this method, on some heavily customised installs, several times with nothing but some minor quirks on one or two "resets". Providing you haven't used bleachbit to "clean" your apt cache of installed debs, it will essentially revert your system just as Windows Recovery will.
Combine this with rsync and cron and it becomes quite a powerful, customisable backup method with no need for secondary programs. Most distributions should have the tools needed already installed.
Code:
man rsync
or Google for rsync info

Need help, ask away

Forum Admin

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED]How do I back-up my complete install.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:01 pm 

Thanks for that!

All done and dusted.

Out of interest is there a command(s) that you can use to return the desktop to an as first installed state or is it just as easy to re-install from the live USB/DVD?

Cheers

Ian

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED]How do I back-up my complete install.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:14 am 

This may be of interest:

HOWTO: Backup all installed programs/packages
PROBLEM: Lets say you have set up your *buntu box. Now you want to backup all the installed deb files so that you can restore them quickly and efficiently.

UPDATE: Why would you want this?
When I was using windows I had a directory of EVERY Single program that I had downloaded. For one thing it would be easier to install everything as I would not have to go online and hunt for them. Further it would be useful where a computer does not have internet connection. In ubuntu "hunting" for programs is a rare occurrence thanks to the fantastic package managing system. However, I personally have about 20-30 programs that I have either compiled from source (using checkinstall, so that that a deb package is created and they are added to APT), or downloaded debs from obscure locations. Now each of these debs I will save in a directory so that in the future I do not have to go hunting for them. However, this command I have outlined backs up ALL packages, including the ones in the package manager. So, why would you want that?

Firstly, this is VERY useful if lets say you have setup a very basic installation with all updates, and all non-free video/audio/etc codecs. Further you have installed some basic useful software. Now lets say you want to install the SAME setup on your grandmothers computer, except she does not have internet connection, or at the time you go to set it up she does not have a net connection. Using this script you can have all your debs in one simple location, so you will not have to redownload everything.

Secondly, lets assume you work for a school, or a company, and you need to install the SAME ubuntu installation on 30 computers. Wouldn't it be easier to simply put all these debs in a central server and issue the dpkg -i *.deb command. This way you don't have to individually select the packages AND the packages don't have to download.

Thirdly, (and this is purely personal) I like to be able to have all my installed packages at hand. This command doesn't take much effort, and for me it only requires 1.4 gb of space, so for a bit of piece of mind I can easily have all my packages on hand.

There is no real reason to do this if you are already doing a full system backup (e.g. an image of your Ubuntu partition using partimage). This is just something I discovered and feel could be beneficial to other users.

These commands will do that for you.

Open a terminal and paste the following into it:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install dpkg-repack fakeroot
$ mkdir ~/dpkg-repack; cd ~/dpkg-repack
$ fakeroot -u dpkg-repack `dpkg --get-selections | grep install | cut -f1`
(the last command will take some time)

Now if you scroll to your home folder, you should find a folder called "dpkg-repack" which should have all the deb files of all your installed packages.

RE-INSTALL
If you want to re-install the packages, navigate to the folder with the packages and input the following command in the terminal:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Thanks to https://answers.launchpad.net/aptonc...n/15592/+index (Rafael)

NB: I know AptonCD does this but what prompted me to use this method was that I had done the sudo apt-get clean command which had erased all the files in the /var/cache/apt directory, rendering AptonCD useless (as all it does is take the files from there and put it in the list). So I find this method is more efficient, and easier for me to control!

aoc 24" @ 1920by1200.
Nvidia 6200 agp @ 8X / 512mb