Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for opinions about Peppermintos for upcoming review
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:00 pm 

Hello all. I run a linux review site with both written and YouTube video reviews called 'Linux In Review'. I'm planning on doing a review of Peppermint OS Two soon. I always reach out to the community before I do my reviews however and give you the opportunity to let me know what you think of your OS. What makes peppermint different from other distros? What features should I highlight in my review?

If you want to check out my other reviews you can do so at http://i2productions.com/lir

I plan on doing this review in the next few days, make your opinion heard!

Post subject: Re: Looking for opinions about Peppermintos for upcoming rev
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:04 am 

It would probably be more expedient if you make the effort to read through the new user comments rather than wait for users to post to this thread :roll: That aside, what oldrong said +1 and now in 64 bit version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 am 

All of the above. I also really like the "hybrid" approach in that both cloud and local apps run side by side.

Custom AMD Desktop | Pmint2 64-bit | Win 7
My Site | Google+| Facebook | Twitter: @eng1nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am 

The "ICE" feature... don't forget it!

And, an other anti-frustrating point, for users coming from other systems: updates are performed when the user decides that. It is not the system to decide when it is time to update. It is certainly the great avantage of Peppermint 2: no more work scrapped by some update done in the middle of the working session!

8-)

Peppermnit 2 is a fantastic OS to run small computers, as tiny netbooks and to bring back to life old computers. Usually, an old computer will run better and faster with Peppermint, thanks to different drivers and, more important, far more lighter OS than previous. Light OS and Cloud Computing: that's the way going by Peppermint and I feel that's the way to go in the near future for any system in the market. In the future, the quality of the connection to the Net will be more important than the quality of the computer.

Last edited by Chichille8 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:57 pm 

If you want honest as opposed to just "ooh, this is nice," here it is:

Peppermint Two has some issues which still have not been fixed since its release. Though, to be fair, many of the issues from which it suffers are upstream issues, so much of the fault for these problems lies with the parent product, Ubuntu. However, Peppermint Two also suffers from its share of issues that aren't upstream issues, but that can be said for any OS. Peppermint Two is not perfect but, if you're willing to put some work into it, it's a very nice OS. Of course, it helps to have one of the friendliest Linux communities available to help you through the issues.

If you want specifics as to the issues, just look through the forums. Though, while looking at the issues, don't forget to also see where people have paid Peppermint Two a compliment. Lord knows we love it, even if we do have to occasionally tweak something. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm 

The main to say, about Peppermint forum, is there a lot of newcomers to Linux. A lot of them!

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:38 pm 

That's true, many new Linux users. However, this is the forum where new users are welcome. :) When I first tried Linux, I looked for answers on *other* Linux forums. Needless to say, the "welcome" and some of the "answers" that new users got on some of them made me shudder and never even consider joining. Peppermint is a great forum for people new to Linux or just new to the OS, IMO. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm 

That's the great point: the OS installation is friendly to newcomers and the forum too, is friendly to newcomers.

Maybe that is an important missing point with many other distributions.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:21 pm 

I wanted a cloud os I could install on an old IBM Thinkpad A21m and since this laptop won't boot from usb I was unable to install Chromium OS and I found Peppermint OS nicely fit the bill . I have my cloud apps and native apps if I need them ,everything works out of the box and resources are readily available thanks to the low memory footprint. And need I say a great community.