Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mobile Browser? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 am 

Peppermint Ice works great on my little Asus eeePc 4G with the 7" screen. The only thing is that with the small screen is there is a lot of scrolling needed to view most websites. I downloaded the "fit to screen" extension for chrome that has helped but I am curious if there is a way to use a mobile browser or have the system report as a mobile device?

Since Android is based on linux, can I use a Android browser?
Is the mobile website switch determined by OS or browser?

Am I even making any sense?

Bill

Last edited by bidaci on Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mobile Browser?
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 am 

I don't know much about Android, do you know if there's a .deb binary package available for their web browser? If there is, I'm sure you can install it. Though, based on a quick web search, it looks like it's only available for Android. In fact, unfortunately, it looks like a lot of mobile browsers are available only for Android, Nokia Maemo, Windows mobile or Palm OS. I don't see any available for Linux.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 am 

SciFiDude79 wrote:
I don't know much about Android, do you know if there's a .deb binary package available for their web browser? If there is, I'm sure you can install it. Though, based on a quick web search, it looks like it's only available for Android. In fact, unfortunately, it looks like a lot of mobile browsers are available only for Android, Nokia Maemo, Windows mobile or Palm OS. I don't see any available for Linux.

Sorry, but I am not even familiar with the .deb binary you are asking about. I'm asking in the new users area only because there isn't a "doesn't have a clue" section.

I did find Fennec (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fennec/ ... easenotes/) that may work but it is a tar.bz2 file and I have no clue what to do with that. Can you help me out there? Any thoughts on this browser?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:33 pm 

Sorry about that. A .deb binary package is a Debian installation program and is the default package for Peppermint, it's the type of file that's in the repositories. Some software isn't available in the repositories but the developers will package it in a .deb file for installation on this type of Linux system.

As for the browser to which you linked, it looks like it can be downloaded, dropped into a folder and then ran using a terminal command. I'll take a look at it and tell you what the specific command is, if you need me to.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the offer. I will take any help I can get!!

By the way, love the graphics on your blog.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:15 pm 

Thanks. :)

I downloaded the browser but couldn't get it to open. Though, I'm running a development build of Peppermint Two, I have no idea if you'd have more success in One or Ice, so I'm going to give you steps that should work. You obviously want to start by downloading the Linux version of Fennec. Open the archive and extract it to your home folder. Then open a terminal and type the following:

Code:
~/fennec/fennec

In a perfect world, that should work. Tough, as I said, I'm having issues with it but you might have a better time running on a stable version of Peppermint.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm 

I'll have to try this when I have time to totally mess things up and then try to fix it. In the mean time I have been looking at opera. It has a "fit to screen" feature that may do the trick for me. The fennec seems like it is more for a touch device and if I wanted that game I would try android.

So is there a quick and painless way to install opera in Ice or can you link me to a tutorial?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 pm 

Detailed instructions that are applicable to Ubuntu forks (that includes Peppermint) here. It seems an effort but this way will make sure you get your updates, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 pm 

It's good that you're looking at Opera, I can't get Fennec to work at all. Though, it gives me some kind of message about resolution, my guess is that a mobile browser doesn't like to be run at 1600 x 900 resolution. But it sounds like Opera might be better anyway. I know it will run great in Peppermint because I've ran it in Peppermint in the past.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 am 

Since you are using chrome, why not spoof the user agent?

I don't have PM installed on any computer I own right now, but the process should be similar.

First, close all instances of Chrome.

Open your application menu, find the entry for Chrome, right-click and add the code in first post of this link to the end of the launch command.

http://www.thehosthelpers.com/change-go ... 365.0.html

Replace 'custom useragent' from that link with the following:

Code:
'Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus One Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1'

The apostrophes have to be retained for it to work.

This will broadcast you as browsing from a Nexus One rather than Chrome Desktop, forcing the mobile site to display for all URL's that support it.

As for installing Opera, go here: http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux

Click the "download now" button. It will download the package file. Once downloaded, go to your Downloads folder in your Places menu (default location for Chrome to stash downloads). Double click the file you downloaded... the installer will run (prolly gdebi) and that's it. Updates will be listed in the system update manager as Opera passes them down the pipe.

Side note... thank goodness for Tapatalk being installed here :) That would have been a nightmare to post using the regular post form.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next