Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor performance
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 am 

I was using mint10 LXDE and it was ok.
Migrated to peppermint because of the developers statement that it is faster that mint lxde..
But i think my hardware has poor support or maybe i did something wrong..
When i startup peppermint(fresh install) i get ram at just under 400mb, processor screaming with only 3 tabs opened in mozilla firefox.. so overall poor performance. (in the liveCD it only had like 130 mb of ram usage..and it was way more responsive)
Could any1 help me get this working as it should be?
BTW, i dont really know linux that good, so please be a little more precise :D ty!

COnfiguration:
CPU: intel centrino 1.4Ghz.
512 ram
GPU: 6M ati video card (16 mb)

Post subject: Re: Poor performance
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:01 am 

take a look at this thread for a couple hints
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3261

You might also want to think about giving midori a try for your browser, it's quite a bit lighter than firefox. It's in the repositories.
Check the how-to sections, there's a how-to for both Openbox and Fluxbox. Setting up either of those environments should give you a considerable gain in speed and free up some RAM for you to use.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:05 pm 

mind that calculation cpu has to do is always the same, depends on the process and task at hand, point being, centrino is low grade cpu, ive got a 2005 centrino 1.6ghz with 2mbL2 cache on one of my machines, and base line is quite high- when fresh system installed and at idle condition, no apps running but the out of the box installed ones. firefox has changed over time, with this new container garbage invention, which can leak memory at times (you ll remember when it occurs). try using different browsers for different sites, since some have more flash, more intensive scripts, and when used with a certain browser tend to choke the machine completely, even with a single tab open, and machine otherwise in idle state, while it gives no trouble in other browsers.

first of all you could find which of the present day, fully security and otherwise updated distro is giving you the lowest base line. then test each (you could do a multiboot, and operate each on single day basis for some time), so that way you could see thru regular use which one is the most stable option, etc. its a bit or a work, but thru hardship one gains experience and knowledge. other option is to buy netbook or something close to that, be it price or other category wise similar, since, to be real, you cant match that machine with the cheapest present day available, its plain old and the average overall requirements have increased, and a bit much, unfortunatelly.

regards

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm 
Also this will be helpful to getting any help.
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=96