Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gray Screen of Death USB Install Unique to Peppermint Di
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:35 pm 

It would appear that the ideas have not been flooding in. It may be easiest to stay with Mint LXDE edition; my understanding is that it is very similar to what Peppermint has to offer, and I would be surprised if you could not install the prism / ice app on it.

Post subject: lenovo s10-3 netbook and peppermint install from usb
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:31 pm 

I write this in responce to an issue in archive (unsolved though), the original issue was posted by Scaly
( Post subject: Gray Screen of Death USB Install Unique to Peppermint (MIA) PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm)

I hoped this site would have a solution for this issue already but I hope this will go some way to solving the problem. The ability to install Ubuntu on the Lenovo s10-3 is the same, the solution is well explained at http://technomess.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... s10-3.html.
I am confused by all the answers in the said thread so I refer back to the initial log posted “Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:29 pm”. Also I did not install ice, peppermint one is what I installed.
The process to Step 6 seems ok but (A) do not hit enter, hit tab instead and edit the boot line per the above blog note.
(B) After install do not select to boot from the grub menu but hit e and edit again in line with the blog. (This was my problem, no grub menu displayed at peppermint boot time and my linux knowledge is non-existent really, so I was unable to find how to force the grub menu to show).
(C) Once booted amend the grub configuration file and update grub per the blog again.
As I hit a block at point B above I simply installed Ubuntu again, the installed peppermint side by side. My needs on this system is a test bed only so no problem for me.
I hope this helps, if so it may be a good idea for the site controllers to flag the resolution in easier to find forum giving credit to the original blogger. These machines are cheap and well suited to a compact and fast operating system.

Last edited by Eric2 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solution merged with topic