Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just learned about this distro
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:11 pm 

The hotkeys on eeepc's are no doubt an ongoing issue; I wonder if anyone has any updates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm 

I agree, I was thinking of those who are still having problems. I didn't feel like closing the issue as I know there are some who have an interest in fixing this still, and it was just to pitch for updates from anyone. It's also a reminder to me to try to acquire one of these things such that I can have a go myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm 

I'm using peppermint ice on my EEEpc 1005ha I don't have issues with the hot keys except I have to

Run 'sudo gedit /etc/default/grub'

Edit the line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and to look like

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

save then sudo update-grub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 am 

I'll go ahead and try that fix (on my 1005p) you guys mentioned and report back although I seem to remember that editing grub had no effect. I'd still like to find a fix for this problem, too, but must defer to those more well-versed in computer language than myself.

I dove in head first a while back trying to find a solution to the hotkeys problems. I was jumping from arch-linux to ubuntu to lxde forums and so on but got much more than I bargained for and soon became swamped. I was messing with the installation of new kernel headers, acpi scripts, grub files, third party applets, etc. and all this resulted in an ugly, ugly patched system that I not so endearingly referred to as a "frankenstein OS" (it eventually turned on me and I had to kill it - i.e. a fresh install). None of the fixes I had attempted gave me the functionality that I desired but, again, I don't know enough about the language to understand where I went wrong.

There is a lot of information out there on forums with operating systems similar in build to peppermint and ice. I can think of ones like arch-linux for example. I think I recall eee pc users looking for and attempting fixes on their forums. However, arch-linux users are a bit further along in the learning curve. Anyway, they have written scripts specifically for each model of eee pc. These scripts alter the acpi settings (which I believe control the manipulation of hotkeys) allowing for complete customization with each model. I couldn't figure out how to render the scripts correctly and override what peppermint uses to control keybindings. The scripts didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for still concerning yourselves with this issue! I'll do what I can to help. I'm running cleanly and comfortably on a fresh install now even though several of the hotkeys do not work. I'm going to go ahead and attempt the 'backlight vendor' trick now and I'll report back later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:43 am 

aljoriz wrote:

Edit the line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and to look like

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

save then sudo update-grub

i went ahead and tried the above suggestion on my eee pc 1005p and after having updated the grub and rebooting i noticed that i had lost all hotkeys functionality. not even one hotkey worked after the above manipulation. i'd rather have a few hotkeys work than none. so i reverted to the backup grub file and now i again have limited hotkey functionality. it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:38 pm 

For what it's worth, I have a EeePC 701 4g running Peppermint Ice and my hotkeys work OK. Wifi On/Off, brightness, volume. Worked straight after OS installation.
Been very impressed with Peppermint Ice. Very snappy indeed!

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 pm 

Thanks for the input. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm 

The results for eeepc's seem to be decidedly mixed. I'd like to sample an opinion and see if we should have a sticky thread for eeepc issues generally?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 pm 

Peppermint One on EEE 900

Details of inxi -F

System: Host Funhouse-900 Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Peppermint
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron M (UP) cache 512 KB flags (sse2 nx) bmips 1800.18 clocked at 900.091 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1024x600@59.5hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 915GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0
Card-2 Atheros L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter driver atl2 v: 2.2.3
Disks: HDD Total Size: 23.5GB (31.6% used) 1: /dev/sda Flash Module 15.4GB
2: USB /dev/sdb CardReader SD0 8.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 14G used: 2.3G (18%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 0.70GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1400
Info: Processes 107 Uptime 12 min Memory 182.2/488.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.3.2

Jupiter and Jupiter eee-support are installed. My hotkeys work, but the jupiter icon does not appear on my screen. Added /etc/acpi/events and reinstalled (did not force install, though) and still nothing. Reluctant to deal with the dependencies mentioned with the -f install, so may pass on adding jupiter.

Before the Jupiter install, though, none of my hotkeys worked.

Sound is still a little soft. Recommendation is to install paman/pulse audio, but that seems to add a lot of other stuff, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Sound is a minor issue, though, I use this EEE for work mostly, so not a lot of need for sound. Overall, I love Peppermint. Light, fast, and elegant. Awesome job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 pm 

Same here... on the EeePc 700, hotkeys seem working properly. On the EeePc 900, not really: wifi seems working correct, as the 3 keys for sound are not.

Amazing, as to my understanding, the 700 and the 900 got similar hardware.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next