Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eeepc thread (was Just learned about this distro)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:45 am 

Just heard of this distro about 5 minutes ago. I was looking for something linux based (obviously) for my netbook, and bam...I came across this sexy looking distro. I'm downloading the ISO as we speak, and will have it installed in a matter of minutes. I hope I will be amazed/impressed.

Anyhow, thought I'd pop in and say Hi, I'm looking forward to using this distro, and spreading the word.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Just learned about this distro
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am 

Welcome, and I think you will enjoy Peppermint, in either flavor. If you get it installed, could you post the results of
Code:
inxi -F
here so the developers will have that data for their records? Please and thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm 

System Info running peppermint on Asus EEE pc 1001p

System: Host netbook Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Peppermint
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N450 (UP) cache 512 KB flags (sse3 nx lm) bmips 3333.13
Clock Speeds: (1) 1667.00 MHz (2) 1667.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller tty res: 125x30 Gfx Data: N/A for root user
Audio: Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Atheros Device 002c driver ath9k
Card-2 Atheros Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter driver atl1c v: 1.0.0.2-NAPI at port ec00
Disks: HDD Total Size: 50.0GB (3.4% used) 1: /dev/sda OCZ-VERTEX2 50.0GB 30C
Partition: ID:/ size: 44G used: 1.6G (4%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 2.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 144 Uptime 0 min Memory 117.1/2003.3MB Client Shell inxi 1.3.2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:56 pm 

Those are some good looking memory usage stats you have there. ;)

Google+: gplus.kendallweaver.com
Twitter: @kendalltristan

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 pm 

Kendall wrote:
Those are some good looking memory usage stats you have there. ;)

And thats what linux is amazing for. Actually, this distro is probably the lightest I've used. I find Ubuntu standard edition to be pretty demanding on memory, as Fedora 14 is pretty good.

One thing that does amaze me, is the shutdown and boot times. Even being on an SSD harddrive, its still killer fast.

Great work, so far enjoying my test run of this peppermint release, definitely will start using it more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:44 am 

Are you using One, or Ice? Ice seems to be a little quicker to me. Just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 am 

Ice is more stripped down than One, so it is faster.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:39 am 

welcome! i learned about the distro recently as well. i am more than happy with it. i am a fellow eeepc user as well. i'm curious, do all of your hotkeys work on your 1001p? i have a 1005p and i never got all of mine to work correctly, even after a re-install.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:48 am 

joejoe74236 wrote:
welcome! i learned about the distro recently as well. i am more than happy with it. i am a fellow eeepc user as well. i'm curious, do all of your hotkeys work on your 1001p? i have a 1005p and i never got all of mine to work correctly, even after a re-install.

No they don't work. I have to sit down and work on getting them to function. My brightness doesn't increase or decrease properly and my volume etc hot keys don't function at all.

They'll be a new project when I get time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21 am 

skywalker wrote:
No they don't work. I have to sit down and work on getting them to function. My brightness doesn't increase or decrease properly and my volume etc hot keys don't function at all.

They'll be a new project when I get time.

Good luck! It's quite time consuming and can be quite a headache. I don't know if you're familiar with Linux or not but from what I understand Peppermint uses an LXDE platform that makes it so fast. Over at archlinux.org (arch linux is another lightweight distro that uses LXDE but seems geared toward advanced users) there are wiki's on certain models of laptops and netbooks. here's your model's page --https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_1001p --.

that will tell you how to get your hotkeys working among other things. it depends, however, on how familiar you are with file locations, file names, writing code, editing grub files and building packages. i tried working things out with my 1005p using eeepc acpi scripts (.conf and .sh files) for all models listed on this page -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23318 -- (acpi scripts, according to my vague undersanding, can give new directives within LXDE and other platforms concerning keyboard bindings and hotkeys as the program 'acpid' is responsible for recognizing the keystrikes and implementing the desired output).

i couldn't for the life of me, however, figure out how to get them working but perhaps they might be useful to you. i don't know quite how to assemble packages and install them. let us know how it goes. i'd be curious to find out.