Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Aero Snap Like Winows 7
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm 

First of all, this is my first post joining this community. I am brand new to peppermint, though have been an exclusive Ubuntu user for years (started back around 4.10). This is the *FIRST* distro that has caused me to use it instead of Ubuntu for daily use. Congratulations to the peppermint team!

One feature that I've come to love in Ubuntu is the compiz setup that basically mimics the Windows 7 Aero Snap feature. A significant reason for choosing peppermint is to have a lightweight OS to leave system resources for applications. I would like to avoid setting up compiz.

Is there a way to have this feature in Peppermint Ice (OpenBox)?

Post subject: Re: Aero Snap Like Winows 7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 am 

I'm not that familiar with Windows 7, is this what you're talking about? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... tures/snap

I didn't even know GNOME could do that. I know KDE can do it, I found it by accident. ;) Unfortunately, you probably need some kind of desktop effects enabled to make that happen, which means installing Compiz or something similar. However, Compiz setup for Peppermint is very easy, I have it installed and auto enabled in my Peppermint install.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:49 pm 

Aero Snap allows you to automatically move & resize a window to fill half a screen, on either the left or the right side, so that you may have two windows perfectly positioned side by side. This is really useful when doing a writing project, to view notes while typing, or to simply have a video on part of the screen while working on the other.

I have never used openbox before, but from my preliminary research last night I see that it could be configured to do such a thing... however I'm not that savvy to figure it out. Hoping that someone could figure it out and post a tutorial as I am sure that many others would benefit from it.

I have been reluctant to include compiz in peppermint because I'd like to keep processor & ram low on the netbook... however, is it a small performance hit to enable compiz?

So the next question... how do you enable compiz in peppermint? And keep things light?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:06 pm 

tavorite wrote:
I have been reluctant to include compiz in peppermint because I'd like to keep processor & ram low on the netbook... however, is it a small performance hit to enable compiz?

I have it installed with standard effects enabled and I haven't noticed a performance drop at all. It's only using 2-3% of my CPU power and around 57-60 MB of virtual memory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm 

I followed some instructions I found on the Ubuntu forums for making that snap thing work in Compiz and I can't get it to work in either Mint or Peppermint. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. You can do it by default in KDE, as long as you have desktop effects enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:18 pm 

SciFiDude79 wrote:
I followed some instructions I found on the Ubuntu forums for making that snap thing work in Compiz and I can't get it to work in either Mint or Peppermint. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

SciFiDude, it is actually fairly easy if you follow the instructions here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/get- ... in-ubuntu/
Just use the code provided by the first commentator instead of the code provided in the article. THAT WORKS.

Could you please tell me, or provide a link, on how to enable compiz in peppermint ice? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 pm 

On second thought, I think I'm going to seek out how to do it in openbox.

Is there anyone who is savvy mucking around with configuring openbox? I have the idea of how to do it:
Setting the openbox configuration to key bind for positioning window absolute left-or-right, maximize vertically, and 50% horizontally. Basically like the code provided in that link I provided above for compiz. I'm not a programmer, so find it hard to wrap brain around, but I strongly suspect that this should be easy for even a half-brained programmer to do - up for an easy challenge???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 pm 

So here is the code from the first commenter:
Quote:
sudo apt-get install wmctrl

Command line 0
WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x' `&& HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,$HALF,-1

Command line 1
WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x' `&& HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,$HALF,0,$HALF,-1

Command line 2
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

This got me wondering... what is wmctrl, does it work with peppermint, and can we somehow use the above without compiz?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am 

tavorite wrote:

Is there anyone who is savvy mucking around with configuring openbox? I have the idea of how to do it:
Setting the openbox configuration to key bind for positioning window absolute left-or-right, maximize vertically, and 50% horizontally. Basically like the code provided in that link I provided above for compiz. I'm not a programmer, so find it hard to wrap brain around, but I strongly suspect that this should be easy for even a half-brained programmer to do - up for an easy challenge???

If you want to make it hard on yourself there is always the GrowToEdge variable in openbox
And, as another alternative, there are numerous tiling window managers for X that will just do this, as they are designed to.
And underneath that list, is a list of plugins that enable tiling in X window managers that don't tile by default that should be sufficiently difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am 

sirkit77 wrote:
1Eric2 wrote:
tavorite wrote:

If you want to make it hard on yourself there is always the GrowToEdge variable in openbox
And, as another alternative, there are numerous tiling window managers for X that will just do this, as they are designed to.
And underneath that list, is a list of plugins that enable tiling in X window managers that don't tile by default that should be sufficiently difficult.

That`s cold, bro. lol. In a funny way, that is. :D

Is it? Wasn't meant to be, just seemed like the OP was interested in doing it the hard way

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next