Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: A1 Q10air aka Advent 4213 aka ECS G10IL etc. Recovery (A)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 pm 

Hallo Community; excuse my english - it's not my mother langua.
First, let me say thx. for this wonderful, small linux, which is perfect for Noobs like my.

Mostly perfect, cause few quests are left.

On sda1 ther is ähh was my Win XP, on sda2 (maybe) there is the recovery-part ( 2GB, hidden, Fat, lba)
My HD is 160 GB; The first 72 GB are free (I want Mac OS there), than comes sda 1 with 72 GB and xp (prime), than Extended Part with Peppermint and Swa and finaly sda2-prime, the hidden recovery.

My Netbook would start this hidden one with "F9" - till i installed Linux
Cause Linux installed "Grub", and since than - no way to come on this hidden part (it have to be hidden)
Doesn't matter, if i delete "all", or if i let the part-table as i describe; i always get the message:
Grub can't find.

So i tried to copy the hidden Part and "tool" the file; means; i tried with win rar, with unetboot, Nlite to catch "the win xp"-installerversion - no way
I triy to start from USB (guess what; it doesn't work)

So i guess, it's all pat of this Grub
In formal times i used a 1,4 MB floppy with win98 system/starter and would make a "format -mbr"
but in this times; this dioesn't work anymore ( i guess so9
Cause i can't install w2k; cause u can't change in Bios from sata HD to ide HD

So-what i can do, to get my XP SP3 (Netbook Ed) back?
(Don't ask why; but i need it)

2nd question: I have a no-name DVB-T Usb Stick; Peppermint tells me, what it is; VLC also find the stick, but i am to dump how i make auto-scan (not possible) or where to find a list/include it, for the Austrian TV (Europa-Austria, and not Australia)

3rd question; There are 2 nice Icons (Peppermintforum and Facebook) which open a browser-window, which allows u, to surf only on this domain (u can't change anything at url-line)
How could i create something for "my site"?

4th question: Main-Site say's: Peppermint doesn't use much space 512 MB is enough.
When i want install the Live-CD Version (on USB), the system tells me: U need minimum 1,8 GB
Do i need a other Version?

Finaly, thx. again to the creators of Peppermint, it works perfectly on all my damm netbooks ( 4 of them (Acer Aspire One 150, Samsung NC10, q10 Air and q10Air+
esp. with the build in UMTS, and networkcards, even with the pressing of "FN" and other Short-Cuts

Some other Linux Distri. failed there (and the have known names)

SO thx again :d:

Post subject: Re: A1 Q10air aka Advent 4213 aka ECS G10IL etc. Recovery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 pm 

Apologies for the lack of response previously.

Regarding the first question it seems likely to me that you will have to use the recovery disk which (should have) been provided by the manufacturer to restore the original partition table, or send it back to factory to have it done.

I wish I knew more about usb tv cards; I may be acquiring one for myself at some point so stay tuned (sorry, couldn't resist it :D ).

Question 3: The prism or ice application, depending on your flavour of Peppermint, is what to use for that. It will want the fully qualified url (so, include the protocol, e.g. http://www.google.com and not just google.com)

4) The ISO is very compressed, and when installed all of the software expands in size. This is beneficial (insofar as it runs, and faster), but there is no workaround to make the installed size smaller, I'm afraid.

Hope you're still with us enjoying Peppermint :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:17 am 

Rich_Roast wrote:
Apologies for the lack of response previously.

Regarding the first question it seems likely to me that you will have to use the recovery disk which (should have) been provided by the manufacturer to restore the original partition table, or send it back to factory to have it done.

Testdisk maybe? If the partition hasn't been written over with data, it could be recovered.

Rich_Roast wrote:
4) The ISO is very compressed, and when installed all of the software expands in size. This is beneficial (insofar as it runs, and faster), but there is no workaround to make the installed size smaller, I'm afraid.

Maybe adding a extra(or advanced) step in the install process(hopefully in the next release?) where you can add/remove packages?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:21 am 

Kendall will be able to talk in a more educated fashion about the installer and how it is... a maintainer's dream come true :P

I recall that Fedora's installer program, I forget it's name right now, allows for the individual selection of packages to be installed and it's a good feature, albeit potentially overwhelming for the newcomer who doesn't necessarily know one package name from another (in their defense, they offer three or more default options e.g. 'Desktop', 'Server'...)

But I don't think that this functionality is built into ubiquity by default and I foresee adding this feature could be quite the little project. But then again I might be of course, which is why I defer to Kendall on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 pm 

Yes, it's a great feature. The old Mandrake 7.2 etal. had this.
It was handy on new installs to add your favorite, not included apps.
Seems like Debian used to have something similar? dselect?

But it would be nice to be able to call a list of prepared additional installs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:18 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
I recall that Fedora's installer program, I forget it's name right now.

It's called Anaconda, as far as I know.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]