Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: unable to cut/copy/paste
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 am 

First off thanks for the links to the mc and file manager information, one thing I've found with linux is that posting a question invariably leads to quite a large gain in linux knowledge and people are always willing help you along.
The only files that I have been able to cut/copy/paste successfully have been text files.
I had quite a play around and mp3, flac, avi, deb and jpg all give the same error as jjlaw has quoted.
This affects single files as well as subfolders on my system, I can, however, cut/copy/paste the main directories including the subfolders with no problem.

At present I have installed parcellite clipboard manager from the repos and this seems to have solved all problems, I can cut/copy/paste using parcellite to my hearts content and all files and subfolders go exactly where I want them with no issues.
I would consider this more of a workaround rather than a solution but perhaps to the more technical minded user it may be of some help in resolving the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:35 pm 

Or perhaps not :P

The bug is still apparent on my box (pcmanfm 0.9.8). I strongly suspect it's to do with spaces in file names, principally because I tried to move two text files with spaces in the file names and it failed. What's probably going on is that the escape code for the space (%20) isn't being parsed before being sent to the actual command to move the files, meaning that it gets read literally and of course, nobody has files with actual %20's in the names :D

We'll have to see if this is fixed or patched upstream. I'll try to get to it asap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 am 

Same problem with me. Had to install nautilus just for doing cut/paste stuff between folders/devices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:42 pm 

I recently reinstalled Ice on my main computer because I wanted to move some things around on my HD. Since I knew about the bug, I went into preferences/ignored packages in Mint Update and told it to ignore the packages libfm0, libfm-gtk0 and pcmanfm. By doing that, it left PCManFM at version 0.9.7, before there was a problem with copying and pasting. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm 

Nice move :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:00 pm 

Thanks. :mrgreen:

I tried it once before with my other computer but I only told it to ignore PCManFM, so it installed the other updates and then PCManFM wouldn't open and I now know it was because those two other files were dependencies and they upgraded, so I had to upgrade PCManFM anyway. :cry: This time, I opened Synaptic and looked at the list of dependencies and quickly realized that the two libfm files had to be related to PCManFM. I wonder if there's any way anybody having this problem could roll back the updates on those 3 files to the older versions? That would solve a lot of headaches.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:07 pm 

I'm doing the janitor thing so I don't want to explicitly outline each step, but the trick would be to remove pcmanfm and those dependencies, pin the packages to version 0.9.7 and then install them again, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:38 pm 

The problem has been fixed in git: closed upstream. This should filter down to Peppermint before too long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 pm 

I just drag and drop what ever I want to move around in pcmanfm.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2