Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Volume change indicator, and FB Chat (closed)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:58 pm 

Hi everybody! I just downloaded and installed Peppermint Ice on my eeePC 900, and so far everything is FAST! ...and I say that as someone who has played around with a number of (open|flux)box and enlightenment distros :D

So far I've only run into a couple of "snags" - really minor inconveniences more than anything. Just thought I'd post about them here, to make the devs aware (and solicit their advice for fixing things, if they happen to know how):

1. The volume hotkeys on my netbook (Fn+F7,Fn+F8,Fn+F9) work fine - except there's no on-screen pop-up indication that I've changed the volume, like there is in Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Which is kind of weird, because when I change the brightness with Fn+F3 or Fn+F4, it gives me the exact same brightness indicator pop-up that I get in those distros.

2. The Facebook prism webapp launches fine and works snappy and everything, but Facebook Chat doesn't appear! When I visit the site in Chromium or Firefox, it works fine.

That's the extent of my complaints for now! I wanna say thank you to the Peppermint devteam, BTW - I can see myself using this distribution for a long time :)

Post subject: Re: Volume change indicator, and FB Chat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm 

I can certainly confirm 2), although not 1) and I wonder if any other laptop users can comment (I use a laptop but my original keyboard... long story).

As to 2); the Prism application maker is simply a frontend to make Prism more accessible. It does not affect the Prism project which is being developed by Mozilla Labs. It might be worth perusing bugzilla for mentions of the Facebook chat issue or create a new one. In the meantime pidgin handles facebook chat rather well insofar as a desktop client solution; ebuddy offers it as a web client solution (which should already be on your system).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm 

I've run into this while tidying up a bit, and a couple a new thought about the volume control indicator has occurred to me; LXDE provides its own volume control applet which is different to the one provide by gnome, and it seems likely to me that the LXDE one doesn't do OSD. I'm guessing you could install gnome's volume control applet if you really wanted, but I'd guess it'd drag in gnome control centre, which will drag in gnome. That's an awful lot.

Funniest thing, I don't have a brightness indicator pop up when I fiddle with the controls, neither does one seem particularly necessary to me since the visual feedback is provided by, well, the screen getting brighter or darker. That said, I would imagine that the OSD is provided by, again, a gnome applet which in this instance comes with Pmint. This is all conjecture, by the way, I'm typing this off the top of my head.

As to Facebook, suggest using Ice to recreate the app for chromium-browser if you want chat to appear; it works fine in Ice. Alternatively there's eBuddy, too (although ymmv, I'm not sure eBuddy likes me).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
I've run into this while tidying up a bit, and a couple a new thought about the volume control indicator has occurred to me; LXDE provides its own volume control applet which is different to the one provide by gnome, and it seems likely to me that the LXDE one doesn't do OSD. I'm guessing you could install gnome's volume control applet if you really wanted, but I'd guess it'd drag in gnome control centre, which will drag in gnome. That's an awful lot.

i guess people just like the comfort of having their computer flash back to them that it 'got the message', he he. anyway, if one did decide to install the gnome volume control applet and then all that other stuff from there, how big of a hog are we talking here? how much does gnome drag on system resources?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm 

Code:
apt install gnome-panel

Need to get 17.9MB of archives.
After this operation, 191MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

The bad news is that the volume control applet is not packaged separately; it is a plugin for gnome-panel, which means you'd need to run gnome-panel, as far as I can make out. I've never run gnome's panel on LXDE and I get the sensation that I shall not be trying tonight ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 pm 

Wow, and neither will I, on any night for that matter. :shock:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]