Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Possible Firefox 4 related issue with ebuddy? (closed)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 am 

Now I'm not 100% sure that Firefox 4 is the cause, and I'm actually jumping around distros so I couldn't hang around long enough to ensure Firefox 4 was the definite culprit...but I'd feel rather useless if I didn't at least throw some data in. I downloaded the new Peppermint One Respin iso with Firefox 4 Beta, and did the standard "update system" etc, etc before I started using everything. But one oddity I had was that ebuddy would not work. It allowed me to login and view my buddy list, but when I'd actually try to send a message, the message would stay in the text entry box and a blank entry, unsent, would be added to the IM box. Then to make things more confusing, and making me lean towards it was a heavy rendering issue on firefox's fault, when I would open more than one message the tabs would be literally right on top of eachother. Now I'm actually testing ebuddy today in Linux Mint LXDE to make sure it wasn't just ebuddy acting up, and at the moment it's running perfectly in the earlier firefox version.

My hardware specs are right over here, in case anyone would need to know them: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=117

Post subject: Re: Possible Firefox 4 related issue with ebuddy?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 am 

I tried reproducing in Firefox 4 Beta 2 and couldn't. It may be a protocol specific thing, which IM network was this using?

Thanks for testing out elsewhere and pointing to hardware specs, good show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 am 

Rich_Roast wrote:
I tried reproducing in Firefox 4 Beta 2 and couldn't. It may be a protocol specific thing, which IM network was this using?

Thanks for testing out elsewhere and pointing to hardware specs, good show.

You're quite welcome. You never know when misc information may be relevant :)

As for the protocols, I had actually tried both AIM and MSN (I had yahoo logged in, but given both reacted the same way I had made the assumption it would also have acted similarly). It may have been something I had changed in Firefox's settings, however, at about the same time Firefox 4 began showing strange rendering issues while running, such as screwing up the rendering of web pages momentarily while scrolling too fast, and not being fixable until I scrolled the error off screen and then scrolled back up. I'll be retrying Peppermint One again just to see if I can replicate it myself (I may just switch to chrome if I can, as I prefer it. But I prefer printing locally rather than with google print like Peppermint ICE)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am 

OK, thanks for the extra information. It seems we're certainly looking at the site not playing nicely with your Firefox.

Let us know how the testing goes, please, thanks. And again, good show. This sort of thing is helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
OK, thanks for the extra information. It seems we're certainly looking at the site not playing nicely with your Firefox.

Let us know how the testing goes, please, thanks. And again, good show. This sort of thing is helpful.

Once more, no problem. Although sadly I DID manage to duplicate the problem on a fresh install of Peppermint One without modifications or updates. Oddly, Firefox 4 with ebuddy ran perfectly. However the trouble came when I tried to use the ebuddy prism. I have a screenshot right here of what seems to keep happening: http://imm.io/Zrm (The pixeling is my doing, btw. I was testing it live with two buddies :P)

Note also that I can switch between those two buddy message tabs on top all I want, and the message box stays with the first buddies. Oddly I CAN recieve messages, and get notifications, but aside from that ebuddy is mostly unusable. Also that "WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING" line should have been that second "I Say:" :P

Edit: As a hunch, I attempted to remake the prism myself, but linked to "web.ebuddy.com" rather than the ebuddy website (which takes you directly to the ebuddy login screen without creating a new window), but the problems persisted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 pm 

It's crazy o'clock where I am right now but I'll take a look at this and try to reproduce as soon as I can. As usual, the caveat is if someone can beat me to it, do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
It's crazy o'clock where I am right now but I'll take a look at this and try to reproduce as soon as I can. As usual, the caveat is if someone can beat me to it, do.

Of course! Take your time. I'll be customizing my system (may remove firefox and prism/web apps and replace them with ICE and chromium later on). What IS odd however, is I know that an ebuddy prism SHOULD work. Way back when I was using the first Peppermint OS release, I made an ebuddy prism of my own that, despite some ads sometimes freaking out and suddenly taking up half the buddy message screen (I had that happen on windows too, I believe) it worked perfectly.

EDIT:
Also, as a suggestion (not sure if it would help or be used) an ebuddy prism linking to web.ebuddy.com rather than http://www.ebuddy.com might be more user friendly, as it takes the user straight to the login window rather than the ebuddy main page login, which spawns the messenger window separately :)

Last edited by PixelPlane on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 pm 

Me too (the testing thing)!

We'll get to the bottom of this, yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:21 pm 

Rich_Roast wrote:
Me too (the testing thing)!

We'll get to the bottom of this, yet.

Well I'll be available to help anyway I can, as work and Mountain Dew Throwback (Mountain dew made with natural sugar...and oddly, contains actual orange juice from concentrate) is keeping me awake :)

EDIT: Not much to go on, but I do get this warning in command line when an ad starts up on ebuddy: (prism-bin:3464): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

Fairly sure it isn't related, though, as it happens with the advertisements and nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:17 am 

Rich_Roast wrote:
The way I calculate, it was about 3:40am UK time when you posted that! As I remember from my holiday to London a few years ago, the pubs are not even open then, so you have plenty of free time to post stuff here! :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next