Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: How To make a system backup the easy way.
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm 

Class: How to automate backups
Difficulty: Straightforward but requires some thinking about strategy
Time: 15 minutes to get setup
Desirability Backups are important but easy to neglect. This addresses that.

Making a system backup is very important and should be done at the very least every two days or after you add a lot of important data to your computer, i.e. midterm paper or what ever else it may be. Luckily Peppermint as a backup utility that is super easy to use, so let begin shall we.

First go and click on the Peppermint Menu and head up to the preferences menu and click on the software manager. Once you are in the manager up in the top left corner you will see a search box. In the search box type in mintbackup all one word and then click on the package and click on the install button in the upper left hand corner of the box. Now that the utility is installed you will be able to find it under the preferences menu up at the top and it will be called Backup Tool. Just click on it and off you go.

It is important to do your backups on a external hard drive or a thumb drive depending on how much data you will be backing up. First you will want to backup your home directory since this has all your pictures, music, and other important data on it. Just click on the backup home directory button and in the next box that appears use the second drop down box to tell Peppermint where to save the backup to. You can also choose to save your current software selections as well so when you do a system restore you don't have to go back and reinstall everything.

To do a system restore first you must reinstall Peppermint then after that reinstall the backup utility. After that click on the restore home directory and after that loads click on the restore software choices and let that load and you should be good. Hard drives fail all the time and at the worst time possible trust me on that I have had it happen to me and I had no backup so I lost everything. Again you should backup your data at the very least every two days or after you add a lot of important data to your computer.

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]