Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: MS Office 2007 via Playonlinux
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 pm 

Class: MS Office Suite Howto
Difficulty: patience and some button clicking (may need to understand the file system a bit too)
Time: 15-20 minutes I would hope
Desirability: Great for newcomers to Linux, helps with windows compatibility too
Required: Computer capable of running Office and an Office CD/DVD/Image to install from

Description

A lot of prospective Linux converts seem to be lost on account of not being able to use some certain program. What will be presented here is a guide to installing Microsoft Office in Peppermint with the help of PlayonLinux.

When I first started on linux this was nearly an impossible task, with the help of the wine developers and playonlinux developers this is a pretty straight forward process. I have been using this for several weeks now and while it is sometimes sluggish it seems to work really well.

Lets get started

The first step is to install playonlinux. This is a frontend for wine, meaning that it will need wine in the background to run. This creates the nessecary libraries and resources for a windows program to run in linux. While it isn't running natively it sure looks like it if you didn't know any better.

To get playonlinux you have several options you can either search for 'playonlinux' in the software manager or synaptic package manager. Or you can enter the following in LXTerminal (ctl+alt+T)

Code:
apt install playonlinux

This will automagically install and configure wine on your system it isn't already installed.

Here you can see the first screen playonlinux will give you when it is getting set up.

Once it is set up you can get to installing Office. There are preconfigured installs for a number of common programs...I have found that the one for Office doesn't like me, so there is another way to install that is just as easy really.

In the lower left corner there is a link that says 'Install a .pol package or an unsupported application'.

Click that and you should get this screen.

You will want to select 'Manual Installation' and click 'Next'.

Here you can just select 'Forward'.

You will now have the choice to add a program with a new prefix or edit and old entry (or delete). You want to select 'Install a program in a new prefix'.

I called mine simply 'Office' but you can name it what ever you like.

The next screen allows you to set some parameters if you like (you don't need to and I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing in wine).

You will then be prompted to direct the install to and executable file. This would be the launcher.exe on your Office disk (here is where some file system knowledge is handy). I mounted a .iso as an image install but you can do this from a CD/DVD if that is what you have.

Once you have selected the .exe you should see the Office installer dialog where you can select the 'Office Suite', 'Visio', 'Frontpage', etc. There are some apps that still don't work and you can read about these on the playonlinux support site.

After you have selected what you want installed you should be able to click 'Install' and move forward.

This step amazed me, in windows this install took over 30 min...on Peppermint it was less than 5 min.

When it is done installing and you have close the Office Luncher you should see this.

There will also be an option to add the new program to a group, you don't need to do this unless you want it somewhere special (it will automagically be added to your wine entry in the menu).

Enjoy!

Custom AMD Desktop | Pmint2 64-bit | Win 7
My Site | Google+| Facebook | Twitter: @eng1nerd

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]