Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Persistant changes when run from a USB drive, aka nerd stick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:37 pm 

Class: Installation tutorial
Difficulty: Straightforward
Time: About half an hour
Desirability: Carrying an OS around in your pocket is reasonably awesome

A great tool to have in your Linux bag of tricks is knowing how to make a "nerd stick". This allows you to have a live version of Peppermint on a USB drive with the ability to save data and any changes that you have made to Peppermint and use it on any computer that has a working USB port. This How-To was written using an installed copy of Peppermint.

First thing you need to do is to install usb-creator-gtk which can be found in the package manager as shown below.

All you need to do is right-click on the usb-creator-gtk package and select install and a box will open up to let you know what dependences it will be pulling in, just click ok and wait for the packages to download and install.

If you want to do this from the command-line open up a terminal, Ctrl+Alt+T and type in the following command and hit enter and after you run the command enter your password and hit enter.

Code:
apt install usb-creator-gtk

Now that is done take your USB stick and insert it in one of your USB ports and wait for the the file manager to see it like shown below.

Just click on the cancel button and open up up the Disk Utility program and format the drive.

You want to format the drive to make it a master boot record but before you do that down at the bottom you need to unmount the drive or you will get a error message saying that the drive is busy.

Now that we have a freshly formated drive we need to create a partition on the drive. To do this you need to click on the create partition button and choose to make a FAT partition.

Now that we have the drive formated and ready to roll lets make the "nerd stick". For this part you will need to have a Peppermint iso file, hint this is what you downloaded from the Peppermint website. Fire up usb-creator-gtk like so and lets get started. Preferences -> Startup Disk Creator.

Just slide the slider bar button all the way to the right if you want to use the whole drive and press Make Startup Disk and off you go. Now depending on the size of the disk this may take awhile, my 8 GB USB drive took about 20 minutes or so to finish. After it is done you will see a box appear saying that you startup disk is ready so just click ok. Note it will say that your Linux Mint Startup Disk is ready don't worry it has Peppermint on it.

I hope you find this useful, I know I do because I use these all the time instead of carrying around a bunch of CDs. :ugeek:

Update: We are currently working on a new procedure to provide better functionality on this topic. Once it has been perfected and tested this How-To will be edited to reflect the change.

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]