Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing boxee media centre
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:18 pm 

Class: Media center installation
Difficulty: Mostly OK, download and install using the usual tools
Time: Depending on network speed between five minutes and half an hour
Desirability: If you want a media center this looks like a nice choice, but be forewarned that it requires sign up in one form or another

burntcav has written up this little guide to installing boxbee, which is a rather nice looking media center.

I'm looking at switching my HTPC over from full on Ubuntu to Peppermint to cut down on used space. I only have an 8GB CF card in it as a "HDD", and somehow I only have 1GB left (all media is on a NAS), even after removing all the extra bits that I don't need for an HTPC application. Did a test install of Boxee in Peppermint One on Live USB and it seemed to work fine (with one small dependency hiccup). It was almost too easy.

Step 1: Install Peppermint One (if not already installed)
Step 2: Open Firefox/Chrome/other browser and download the 32-bit Linux version of Boxee from http://www.boxee.tv/signup. Choose Other > Ubuntu Linux. Register now if you would like to, otherwise choose "Skip to Download". You can either choose to open with gdebi (preferred) or save the file.
Note: you have to have an account with Boxee for it to function.
Step 2a: If you chose to save it rather than open, navigate to your Downloads folder (default for Firefox) and double click the .deb file. Click Install on the next window and wait a few minutes.
Step 3: If all goes well, Boxee will show under Sound and Video

Additional steps:
Step 4: If you run across an error during install (more than likely it will be something mySQL related, only one I recall off hand is libmysql*, gave a 404 error, but a manual install fixed it... odd), note which dependencies did not install and manually install them using Synaptic.
Step 4a: After manually installing the packages that errored, try your Boxee install again (either by redownloading or re-double clicking)
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit

Note: If doing a clean install, say for an HTPC, additional dependencies/drivers may need to be installed as well (nVidia drivers for ION-based cards for example).

To autostart Boxee, can open the terminal and type in:
Code:
cp /opt/boxee/run-boxee-desktop ~/.config/autostart/

HTH