Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum
https://peppermintos.net/

Antialiased Fonts
https://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1316
Page 1 of 1

Author:  techtype [ Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Antialiased Fonts

I tried the tip for Antialiased Fonts in the HowTos. On my laptops, I find that installing the Microsoft core fonts along with using a variation of .fonts.conf (see below) gives by far the best results in Chromium using Peppermint Ice.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>false</bool>
  </edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintnone</const>
  </edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>

Author:  Rich_Roast [ Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

This is because the anti-aliasing code, which since the time that that tutorial was written has had its patent expire, only really works on those core fonts.

Author:  techtype [ Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

Rich_Roast wrote:
This is because the anti-aliasing code, which since the time that that tutorial was written has had its patent expire, only really works on those core fonts.


I also found that the rgb and hinting degrade the fonts on my laptops, thus my mods to the file.

Author:  joutlan [ Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

I'm going to experiment with this...my fonts look pretty darned good now...but I gui'd it with Xfce...I'll check the contents for grins.... 8-)

Author:  Rich_Roast [ Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

If members are testing this on their machines can they post here to let us know that a) it works and b) it is a pretty significant difference? I'm notorious for not caring about the niceties of fonts so although I'm sure of a) (it does), I'm not really the man to test b).

If it is a valuable thing to do it can go to the tutorials board, which is why I'm asking for feedback. Thanks.

Author:  joutlan [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

Rich_Roast wrote:
If members are testing this on their machines can they post here to let us know that a) it works and b) it is a pretty significant difference? I'm notorious for not caring about the niceties of fonts so although I'm sure of a) (it does), I'm not really the man to test b).

If it is a valuable thing to do it can go to the tutorials board, which is why I'm asking for feedback. Thanks.


Rich....wow, if my fonts don't look perfect it drives me right up the wall !!! You're a tolerant man!! :lol:

Author:  Rich_Roast [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

heh. :)

Do I take it to mean that this does make a noticeable difference, then?

Author:  joutlan [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

Rich_Roast wrote:
heh. :)

Do I take it to mean that this does make a noticeable difference, then?


I havent' tried the hack above Rich....but, yes, the .fonts.conf definitely does.

Author:  Rich_Roast [ Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Antialiased Fonts

Gotcha. I'm going to move it where it belongs then.

Thanks everyone :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/