Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: [One][Ice][Two] Setting your screen resolution
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am 

Class: Tutorial on setting screen resolution
Difficulty: Some caution advised
Time: Ten to twenty minutes to get things just right
Desirability: Read this if you're unhappy with your present screen resolution

WARNING!! Your video card, video driver, and monitor may not support the same resolutions and this can harm both your monitor and graphics card. Since Peppermint has no control over this we are not responsible if it breaks your system.

In this tutorial I will show you how to set your screen resolution using the xrandr program. This is a handy program that comes already installed in Peppermint by default. We will have to use the command-line to run xrandr so the first thing we need to do is open up a terminal, just press Ctrl+Alt+T and it will open right up for you. Now that the terminal is up you need to type in this command,

Code:
xrandr -q

and press enter. Now you will have a list of your screen resolutions and refresh rates that you graphics card can handle. Here is the xrandr out put for my Asus netbook.

Code:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 600, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS1 connected 1024x600+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 220mm x 129mm
   1024x600       60.0*+
   800x600        60.3 
   640x480        59.9 

If you'll notice the top resolution and refresh rate is my default setting while the other two are options I can switch to if I wanted to.

Sometimes graphics cards and monitors don't always like each other, Intel graphics cards are notorious for this. With the terminal still open you will need to switch to root user mode so enter this command,

Code:
sudo -i

and press enter. You will be asked for your password which is the same as you use to login with so type it in and press enter. Now that you are in root user mode lets set the screen resolution. On my graphics card 1024x600 with a refresh rate of 60 Hz is what the default is to fit my screen. Here is the command to set it to that resolution,

Code:
xrandr -s 1024x600 -r 60

and hit enter. If all went well then your screen will be at the right size and fit your screen and it should be set. If the refresh rate is not right you will get a very cryptic looking error message, but it will not change anything so just reboot and try a different resolution. Note to users connecting to an external monitor from a netbook or laptop you must turn off your laptop/netbooks monitor.

I hope that is has helped you solve your resolution problems. 8-)

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]