Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: [One][Ice][Two] Remote Torrenting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm 

Class: Transmission Web Client/Prism Howto
Difficulty: Tweaking router settings and creating a Prism. Pretty easy actually.
Time: 20-30 min if you are familiar with port forwarding...who knows if you aren't but certainly still achievable
Desirability: Controlling and monitoring torrents remotely

Have you ever been listening to the radio at work when that one song came on that you just had to download...but realized your boss would kill you if you downloaded it at work...and you know you won't remember it when you get home? Here is your solution. *I am not condoning any illegal activity with this How To, I don't recommend violating any laws with this knowledge.*

Step One, Configuring Transmission:

Open Transmission (Found in menu>Internet>Transmission)

Get into the preferences (Edit>Preferences) and select the 'Web tab.

Here you need to check the 'Enable Web Client' option. You can change the default port if you like (I will use the default of 9091 for this write-up). And if you want a login with password (I would recommend this) check 'Use autherntication' and enter your username and password.

Once you have done that you can close the preferences dialog. You are done with setting up transmission.

Step Two, Port Forwarding:

To be able to control Transmission from any computer with internet you need to forward that port that transmission is looking for (9091 in this case). To do this you will need to change some settings on your router at home.

This site had helped me in setting up my port forwarding: ... rindex.htm

What you will need to do is tell your router that anytime a connetion comes in on that port that instead of the router dealing with it to direct it to the computer running Transmission. There will be a field in the port forwarding settings that will have 192.168.1.___ you will need to enter the computers local IP here this will likely be something along the lines of or (This just depends on how many computers are behind the router).

Step Three, Connecting in a browser (or Prism):

The last step is to connect to the 'host' computer from another. To do this you will have to enter the following in the address bar of your favorite browser.

That will connect to the 'host' computer on the port you assigned. If you set up a username and password it should prompt you now for that. Then if all went well you will see something like this.

Step Four, Creating a Prism (Optional):

I find it easier to click a button than remember a long string of numbers and ports so to save some time and frustration we can create a prism app that works just like using Transmission at home. The address is the same as above and you can name it what ever you want.

Here is the final product...

Peppermint Forums Moderator
Asus Eee PC | Pmint2 | Win XP | Arch (Fluxbox)
Toshiba Sat. P15 | Testing Machine
Custom AMD Desktop | Pmint2 64-bit | Win 7
My Site | Google+| Facebook | Twitter: @eng1nerd

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]