Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: [One] Optimize Firefox (or Swiftfox) for netbooks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 am 

Class: Application optimization How-to
Difficulty: Easy. If you can drag and drop, you can do this
Time: 3-10 minutes. Depends on computer speed.
Desirability: Provide maximum space for web page display in Firefox on small screens.

All screen shots are from my Acer AAO D150 netbook with a 10 inch screen.
Sorry about using Linux Mint for the screen shots, but the I find the Gnome Screenshooter much easier to use.

The aim of this How-to is to replace this

with this

I think it is easy to see how much extra space is available for the web page.

PROCEDURE

1.Launch Firefox.

Got to Tools=>Add-ons=>Get Add-ons=>Briwse All Add-ons. Enter "Microfox" in the Add-ons search box and click the green arrow. Install "Microfox for Firefox".

2. .Right click on the panel and select "Panel Settings". Click on the "Advanced" tab and enable "Automatic Hiding"

3. Right click on the Firefox "View" menu. Disable "Status Bar". Click on View=>Toolbars and disable the "Bookmarks Toolbar". Firefox should now look like this:

4. From the "View" menu select Toolbars=> Customize

Keep the "Customize Toolbar" Window open until you finish step 5

5. Drag and drop all items on the navigation toolbar up to the open area on the right of the menu toolbar. (I don't use the Google search box in the Firefox nav bar so I didn't move it. If you want it, just drag it up.)

6. Close the customize window and disable the Navigation Toolbar.

7 Firefox should now look like this

When Firefox is set to this mode, you can still set and use bookmarks via the "Bookmarks" menu.

A LITTLE EXTRA ADVICE.

In your /home/username ( insert your username) folder there is a hidden folder titled .mozilla. Once you have Firefox set up to your liking, copy this folder to a safe storage area like an external hard drive or a separate data partition. Then, if you have a system crash, install a respin , reinstall Peppermint (or any other LinuxOS), or just reinstall Firefox you can copy the saved . mozilla folder into /home/username before the first time you launch Firefox and Firefox will be fully configured on first launch.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]