Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Globe Tattoo Huawei E1552 in Peppermint One - solution!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 am 

Class: Hardware configuration
Difficulty: Some basic knowledge about hardware interfaces on Linux and text file editing wouldn't hurt
Time: About fifteen minutes, maybe, at most
Desirability: I just unmount the "CD" that automounts at first and that forces usb-modeswitch to kick in, but that won't work for everyone and shame on my laziness

This is a tutorial that was submitted by insomniacno1 about how to get a troublesome GSM usb modem to work when it is plugged in, first time. In terms of explanation, basically these usb modems pretend to be two devices, a "CD drive" which contains the Windows drivers and provides access to the built in SSD reader, and a modem. Some devices don't have appropriate udev rules written for them yet, a process that is still ongoing, such that when you plug the device in it gets picked up as a CD drive rather than a GSM modem.

In the meantime this will help owners of a Huawei E1552 Globe Tattoo Usb modem in particular, but should hopefully provide initial guidance to anybody struggling to get their adapter to play nicely. There's also a hint about setting details for your provider manually in network manager...

Hi to all, I hope the admin will make this sticky since there is allot of solutions on the net but not any for Peppermin One.

I'm using the Peppermint One 08042010 version on an old IBM Thinkpad 570.

This is how I got Huawei E1552 Globe Tattoo Usb modem to work in Peppermint One 08042010(some of the info is pieced together from other sites):

Before you start, install usb modeswitch from synaptic.

Instructions:

1. Insert your Huawei USB.

2. From a terminal window, type lsusb:

Code:
lsusb

hit Enter and you should see an output like this:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0007 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

3. The output will show the vendor ID and the product ID (12d1 and 1001 in the above example - it might be different on your machine) .

4. Create a udev rule by typing

Code:
gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e620.rules

I named my file 15-huawei-e620.rules because that's what lsusb showed from no. 2 then copy+paste the code below:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1001",SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1001 --type option-zerocd"

NOTE the code above should be 1 line only, no wordwrap!!

Just be sure to replace (if necessary) the correct values you got for your product and vendor IDs.

Save the file and type exit to close the terminal window.

5. Safely remove the USB drive then reinsert.

6. The Network manager will automatically detect your USB, But if not then create a new Mobile Broadband connection manually. Just right-click on the network manager icon, choose Edit Connections, go to Mobile Broadband, and click Add.

7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).
Here are the values that worked for me:

Number: *99#
APN: http.globe.com.ph
Under PPP settings, I chose PAP as the only authentication method.

NOTE: If you don't have gedit then install it by typing apt-get install gedit and yes when asked. Then proceed to step 4.

Hope this helps:)

JBJ

Ps.: SMC EZ Connect g Wireless USB 2.0 adapter (SMCWUSB-G)(In real Zydas ZD1211B) works out of the box. No driver or tweaks needed. Atheros AR5007UG use the same chip and should also work.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]