Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [One][Ice][Two] Installing Canon MP620 printer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 am 

In order to install the printer successfully, you will need a few files. Listed below are the exact names until a hosting solution is found. You should be able to google for them. It should also be noted that this installation was on the 32-bit OS. I have not done an install on a 64-bit system though I dont think Peppermint comes in that flavor. Im still running XP Pro in a dual boot as I really hate Win Vista and 7. So, if you set the printer up on a 64-bit system you may need different files.

Needed Files:
canonmp620-630en.ppd
cifmp610.conf
libcupsys2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.9_all.deb
scangearmp-common_1.10.1_i386.deb
cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb

Also needed:
cups-bjnp-0.5-1.c5.i386.rpm
cups-bjnp-debuginfo-0.5-1.c5.i386.rpm

1. Copy the .ppd file to the ppd folder
Code:
sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/share/ppd/

2. Make a directory to hold the configuration file (assuming it doesnt already exist. I have not run across a case of it being so yet)
Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/bjlib/

3. Copy the configuration file to the newly created folder
Code:
sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/lib/bjlib/

4. Install the file libcupsys2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.9_all.deb
Note: You should be able to right click on the files with the .deb extension and install with the package installer. I was able to do this so I never needed to use the command line to install the files.

5. Install the file scangearmp-common_1.10.1_i386.deb (See note on step 4)

6. Install the file cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb (See note on step 4)

7. Install cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb (See note on step 4)

Initially I had some issue getting all these files to install properly until I installed them in the order listed above. Im not sure if there were any dependencies that were satisfied or not but it was the order in which they repeatedly installed successfully for me.

The above steps will get you to the point where you can print directly from the PC with a USB cable. If you wish to use the network printing capability you will have to continue with the steps below.

8. Install alien
Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

9. You will have to open a terminal session in the folder you have the .rpm files stored or navigate to that location and run the following commands in the order listed.
Code:
sudo alien -i cups-bjnp-0.5-1.c5.i386.rpm
sudo alien -i cups-bjnp-debuginfo-0.5-1.c5.i386.rpm

Now all the files that need to be installed are installed and all that needs to be done is the discovery and final set up of the printer

10. Go to CUPs by using your browser and going to http://127.0.0.1:631 or http://localhost:631

11. Click on the administration tab

12. Click on Add Printer (You will likely have to login with your login ID and password)

13. Click on the printer found under the 'Discovered Network Printers'. It should be something along the lines of Canon MP620 series and there will be an IP address there also.

14. Fill in/Change the Name, Description and Location to your liking and click 'Continue'

15. Scroll down until you find a Mode named 'Canon MP620-630 series Ver.2.80en'. DO NOT use the one labeled 'Canon PIXMA'.

16. Click on 'Add Printer'

17. Once the printer has been added click on the 'Maintenance' drop down menu and select 'print a test page' to make sure everything is working correctly.

I have installed my Canon this way at least a half dozen times without any issues on four different laptops. If someone can host the files or if they can be added to the Peppermint repo, I will send them so that can be done.