Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with Chromium {SOLVED}
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:06 am 

Hello all, I've been doing some maintenance to my system. I've removed my dual boot Crunchbang/Peppermint system and I'm only running Peppermint. I have done the full re-installation without issue. I wanted to use Pepperflash instead of Flash 11.2 because I have found plain Flash a bit dodgy. I used the same instructions as before to install Pepperflash because they worked: Pepperflash via PPA. I can safely say that is no longer the case. Chromium would no open. If I invoked it in the terminal I got a error message warning that the pepflashplugin-installer could not be found or words to that effect. I have installed the Lubuntu/Ubuntu restricted extras. I had to eventually remove Chromium and reinstall. I was aware that I would loose the Ice application. Foolishly, I thought that it would be in the repositories and it would be a matter of, sudo apt-get install ice. I know know differently :lol: ! Chromium is up and running albeit without Flash working even though it is installed according to Chromium. How do I get everything back to the status quo, (not Rick Parfitt and the gang)? Many thanks :D .

Last edited by BiPolarBear on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Problems with Chromium
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 am 

Ice *should* be available in the repos .. what happens if you run:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

then
Code:
sudo apt-get install ice

?

Any errors/warnings ?

======================================================

You could install ice by downloading the package directly from here:
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+ar ... .0_all.deb
but I think it best if we figure out why it's not getting pulled in from the repo first.

Pepperflash instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6176

Another option would be to install Chrome and use Ice-Chrome .. a version of Ice for Chrome:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6461

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

Post subject: Re: Problems with Chromium
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm 

Hi, it good to see the servers are up and running. Everything here is up and running now. What threw me for a loop was I couldn't find Ice in synaptic. Just me having a blind moment. I now have only Peppermint OS running and bucket loads of disk space. I do have a Clonezilla image of my Crunchbang installation saved too. You never know there maybe an older Win XP laptop available in April just crying out to be Crunchbanged.

Its really strange, the method I originally used to install Pepperflash no longer works. I guess the PPA no longer exists or's broken. I've disabled Flash 11.2 and Pepperflash seems to be working fine. Just out of curiosity. I've searched for differences between Chromium and Chrome and the answers are always rather vague. Other than Chromium being non-propitiatory, I really can't see any significant difference. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Chrome over Chromium? I guess that's a wrap. Many thanks :D !

Post subject: Re: Problems with Chromium {SOLVED}
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm 

Chrome and Chromium are really the same thing .. the difference is Chrome also includes some third party plugins by default.

Because of that Chrome is not open source as the included plugins are not owned by Google and are not open source.

Effectively Chromium is Chrome WITHOUT the third party additions .. so it's freely distributable without requiring the user sign any license agreement.

=======================================================

Chrome comes with pepperflash by default .. but pepperflash is just a sandboxed version of Adobe's flashplayer.
Google have an agreement with Adobe to distribute it as long as the user agrees to an end user license agreement (EULA) .. which you'll have to agree to before donloading the google-chrome-stable package.

Chromium requires no such agreement, so cannot include pepperflash as part of the package.

make sense now ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:
Chrome and Chromium are really the same thing .. the difference is Chrome also includes some third party plugins by default.

Because of that Chrome is not open source as the included plugins are not owned by Google and are not open source.

Effectively Chromium is Chrome WITHOUT the third party additions .. so it's freely distributable without requiring the user sign any license agreement.

=======================================================

Chrome comes with pepperflash by default .. but pepperflash is just a sandboxed version of Adobe's flashplayer.
Google have an agreement with Adobe to distribute it as long as the user agrees to an end user license agreement (EULA) .. which you'll have to agree to before donloading the google-chrome-stable package.

Chromium requires no such agreement, so cannot include pepperflash as part of the package.

make sense now ?

Outstanding, thank you ;) .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

You're welcome :)