Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Can I setup Peppermint to auto connect to a network?
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:09 pm 

Class: Advice for enabling auto connection on log in
Difficulty: Fairly straightforward, no CLI required
Time: About five minutes to set up
Desirability: Sacrifices a security feature in exchange for convenience

Yes you can but The Peppermint OS Team dose not recommend you do so for the following reasons.

This is part security and part intentional. If it automatically searches for the "best" network and the "best" network happens to be a neighbor network that is protected, then you'll still have to manually select a network. On another note, this allows you to select what may be a secure network in the first place.

Linux security is always a big factor in the way I try to build systems. Bypassing security is what would ultimately result in Linux viruses and malware.

If after reading the above statement and you still want to setup auto connect here is how.

If you right click on the Network Manager Applet icon in the system tray (lower right corner of your screen), select "edit connections", select the "wireless" tab, then select your current connection and hit the edit button, you'll see a checkbox at the top of the window that opens that says "connect automatically". Check that then open the "wireless security" tab and make sure the wireless network pass phrase is entered.

On your next login to Peppermint, if you are in range of the network, the key-ring app will open and ask for the key-ring password. Enter it and the network will connect.

You can set up multiple wireless networks this way.

Again The Peppermint OS Team dose not advise that you use this feature.

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]