Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: How do I update my system?
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 am 

Class: How To: Keep your system up to date
Difficulty: The GUI makes this straightforward and safe; more advanced users may have reasons to use the CLI
Time: Depending on the number and size of the updated packages, on a good connection and with reasonably fast hardware updates take from under a minute to maybe ten
Desirability: You should almost certainly keep your system up to date for bug and security fixes as well as the addition of new features

If you look in the bottom right hand side of your screen you will see a icon that looks like a shield, that is the update manager. If it is solid gray than that means it it looking for updates, if it has a green check mark in it then it means that your system is fully updated. When you click on the update manager it will turn gray and a screen will appear because the update manager is looking for updates. While it is doing that if you right click on it you will see a small menu appear go and click on the preferences button. You will see a screen that shows you how the update manager classifies the updates. The scale is one through five. Level one, two, and three updates are the ones you want to stick with unless you know what you are doing. These updates are stable and have been rigorously tested. Levels four and five are unstable and you use them at your own risk.

The next tab in the same box will allow you to change the amount of time that the update manager checks for updates, the default level is 15 mins but i have noticed that if you are working with limited bandwidth or a slow Internet connection it can really slow things down so I changed mine from every 15 mins to every 4 hours, but that is totally up to you. Once the update manager has downloaded the updates just hit the install button and one it is finished you can close the update manager. This is the Peppermint Teams recommended way to upgrade your system.

For more advanced users you can update through the command line but just be aware it will pull all the updates from level 1 through level 5 so keep that in mind. The only thing it will not update is the kernel. To update from the command open up a terminal, Ctrl+Alt+t, and type in apt update. It will ask for your password enter it and press enter. After all the sources are checked type apt upgrade, it may or may not ask for your pass word again based on how long it took to look through all the sources if it does type it in and press enter and it will start the upgrade. When finished type apt clean and apt autoclean to remove any leftovers.

I'm on Twitter: @Asheguy
I'm on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/asheguy

Linux User #507486

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]