Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dark Mod [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm 

Has anyone managed to install and run The Dark Mod on a 32bit machine? I've followed the guide provided http://www.thedarkmod.com/download-the-mod/. There should be a darkmod.x86 binary to start the game. I have downloaded it several times using different mirrors but for the life of me I cannot find this bloody x86 binary they speak about. I don't often play games but I really enjoyed the Thief series. The Dark Mod looks a great spin on the game. My computer has the legs to run it. I would love to get it up and running.

Link to my specs http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6398. Many thanks.

Update. I've found the x86 binary. It was nicely buried, tdm_shared_stuff.zip. I chmod +x it and execute. The game opens with the intro music but not video. Just a black screen. This is a bit alarming as it is pot luck trying to exit. Alt+F2 and Esc do nothing. I had to hold the start button to shut it down. Not ideal at all. Obviously I am missing or have the wrong video driver.

Last edited by BiPolarBear on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Dark Mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 pm 

Not tried it myself, but try this....

Open a terminal and run:
Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/TheDarkMod

then
Code:
~/Desktop/TheDarkMod

then
Code:
wget http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/pk4/tdm_update_linux.zip

then
Code:
unzip tdm_update_linux.zip

then
Code:
./tdm_update.linux

Now you'll have to wait (probably for some time) for a ton of stuff to download .. once it's finished, the "thedarkmod.x86" file should be in the TheDarkMod folder on your desktop.

There's a list of the files that should be in that directory on this mirror:
http://mirrawr.thegreatesttunnelhostontheinter.net/darkmod/

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 am 

Thanks for that PCNetSpec. The x86 binary has now shown up. I made it executable and low and behold I get a black screen; sometimes with music. The only way I've found of getting out of that is to hold down the start button on the lappie. Brutal eh! This is where the adventure begins. Logic dictates that the answer will be in the forum. Registering on the forum is quest in its own right. Then if I want to post a new topic it tells me I can't, even though I'm logged in - "Computer says no" :lol: ! To be honest, I've never seen a more awkward forum in my life. It has loads of members and active topics but how it works is a bloody mystery. I can't even make a search or contact a moderator for help. I'm going to follow up and get this game to work and find out why everything in the forum has been made so inaccessible. I will let the forum know my results - if I get any. Some members may like to play this as it looks awesome and its free. The project looks really cool and I commend the developers for branching Thief; the best game in its genre IMHO. My assessment so far unfortunately falls way short of my original enthusiasm. I'm not impressed. Underwhelmed, confused and frustrated sums up the experience and that is before the game has even loaded. It epitomises why Gamers will shy away from Linux as a gaming platform. I'm optimistic my opinion will change; at least I hope so. 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 am 

NEVER hard shutdown your PC by holding the power button .. you stand a good chance of corrupting the file system.

ALWAYS try REISUB first .. see here for details:
viewtopic.php?p=38066#p38066

Let me know if you want to try troubleshooting TDM here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 am 

BiPolarBear wrote:
Thanks for that PCNetSpec. The x86 binary has now shown up. I made it executable and low and behold I get a black screen; sometimes with music. The only way I've found of getting out of that is to hold down the start button on the lappie. Brutal eh! This is where the adventure begins. Logic dictates that the answer will be in the forum. Registering on the forum is quest in its own right. Then if I want to post a new topic it tells me I can't, even though I'm logged in - "Computer says no" :lol: ! To be honest, I've never seen a more awkward forum in my life. It has loads of members and active topics but how it works is a bloody mystery. I can't even make a search or contact a moderator for help. I'm going to follow up and get this game to work and find out why everything in the forum has been made so inaccessible. I will let the forum know my results - if I get any. Some members may like to play this as it looks awesome and its free. The project looks really cool and I commend the developers for branching Thief; the best game in its genre IMHO. My assessment so far unfortunately falls way short of my original enthusiasm. I'm not impressed. Underwhelmed, confused and frustrated sums up the experience and that is before the game has even loaded. It epitomises why Gamers will shy away from Linux as a gaming platform. I'm optimistic my opinion will change; at least I hope so. 

I just checked their Facebook link and there seems to be a problem with The Dark Mod site and forum. Its Sods Law that I would choose the day when it is all screwy. So, hold my previous thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am 

PCNetSpec wrote:
NEVER hard shutdown your PC by holding the power button .. you stand a good chance of corrupting the file system.

Thanks for that. I wasn't too happy forcing it to crash but nothing else was working. As I said, "brutal". I don't have a SysRq key and the alternative on the the PrtScr is End. None of the other keys have SysRq on them. I don't want to repeat the process to check if the End key will work. Presumably REISUB is all in upper case too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:24 am 

Hi PCNetSpec, The Dark Mod forum seems to be up although I still can't search or post even though I'm logged in. I'll take you up on trouble shooting The Dark Mod though. As I said, I would like to get it up and running and maybe other Pepperminters would too. It'll be interesting. I'm all backed up and ready to go. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:42 pm 

After some digging I found this information about registrations with The Dark Mod forum. It appears they experienced a series of spambots late last year. To reduce the occurrence of these again, new registrations are individually screened and approved. This means that even if you register to the forum you have to wait an indeterminate amount of time before you can access and use it. Not exactly brilliant if you are looking for solutions for a new installation. That is one mystery solved :( . 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm 

BiPolarBear wrote:
PCNetSpec wrote:

Thanks for that. I wasn't too happy forcing it to crash but nothing else was working. As I said, "brutal". I don't have a SysRq key and the alternative on the the PrtScr is End. None of the other keys have SysRq on them. I don't want to repeat the process to check if the End key will work. Presumably REISUB is all in upper case too.

SysRq is nearly always the same as the PrtSc key .. give it a shot, either it won't work or it will ;)

And NO .. RESIUB isn't upper case, I only posted it that way for clarity ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 pm 

PCNetSpec wrote:
BiPolarBear wrote:
PCNetSpec wrote:

SysRq is nearly always the same as the PrtSc key .. give it a shot, either it won't work or it will ;)

And NO .. RESIUB isn't upper case, I only posted it that way for clarity ;)

I just tried it again and it is the same. I get plenty of intro music and black screen. The old UNIX command didn't work to shut it down. I tried the alternative Alt Gr key as well as the plain Alt. I now know that doesn't work. I had to do a hard shutdown again. I got away with it again - whew!