Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gave up smoking
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 pm 

If you get ill a lot try some of the vitamin D spray you can get from the health food shops.
The 1000ui one is the NHS recommended daily dose. Spray under your tongue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 pm 

Congratulations dude! I quit about a week ago. I was only smoking at work though, and now there just isn't time for it at my new job. Also, I ride a bike every day, so there was constant motivation to not smoke. Like Brian though, I smoke an eCig sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm 

In December 2012 I had a heart attack. I quit there and then. I didn't say, "I'm quitting". I just said, "I don't smoke" and I haven't smoked since. It can be done. You are doing it the right way too because there is no such thing as part time smoking. Kudo to you, keep it up :D !!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm 

dsplayname wrote:
Congratulations dude! I quit about a week ago. I was only smoking at work though, and now there just isn't time for it at my new job. Also, I ride a bike every day, so there was constant motivation to not smoke. Like Brian though, I smoke an eCig sometimes.

Thanks Daniel :)

I wish you the best of luck my friend .. there'll be times when it won't feel like it, but as others have attested it can be done.

I personally don't feel "healthier" yet (I'm sure that will come), but I do feel exceedingly more self assured having (pretty much) beat this thing .. I still get the urge every now and again, but they're less frequent and easier to ignore.

One clean breath at a time ;)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 pm 

OK. It's almost a week since you last posted on this topic, Mark. I hope your willpower has held out. But, if it hasn't, you can start AGAIN tomorrow morning.

Mark Twain wrote:
    It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.
    - I think that most smokers and ex-smokers can sympathise with that comment.

The following strategies helped me many years ago. They've been expressed far more eloquently by others:
        SciFiDude79 wrote:
        ....I found that, when I wanted to go smoke a cigarette, I just kept working and the craving subsided.....
        - yes, this is so very true. Concentrating on something else doesn't allow your brain to concentrate on smoking.

Ted_Elgar wrote:
        Firstly, go cold-turkey. Anything with nicotine in it just prolongs the inevitable, but be assured that it only lasts a few days
        - I tried limiting myself to only so many cigarettes per day or hour. It simply didn't work. Cut it out oompletely.

Ted_Elgar wrote:
        .............and don't get drunk for the time being. Booze is the resolve-killer :mrgreen:
        - this is very important. After all, it's a pint in one hand and a cigarette in the other, right? In order to finally kick the smoking habit, I actually stopped drinking any alcohol for more than two years.

This one hasn't yet been mentioned, so it's a quote from me:
        TonyB wrote:
        I realised that smoking wasn't cool, or adult. In fact if you look at a cigarette end that's been trodden on or unsuccessfully flushed down a loo, it's unbelievable that anybody would have stuck that thing in his/her mouth
        - this impression is so strong in my mind that I cannot bear to look at a dirty ashtray; I'd much rather go round the garden picking up the poo left by my three dogs than empty just one ashtray. And visitors are not allowed to smoke in my house, they must go outdoors on the veranda or in the garden (but I don't have UK weather!)

I hope this helps. I've been a smoke-free zone for nearly 10 years now.
Cheers,
Tony B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 pm 

Thanks TonyB ..

I cheat .. if I go out "on the p*ss" (or drink at home), I bung a nicotine patch on :)

I'm "semi" drunk now, but feel no "pull" towards smoking at all.

Still smoke free .. so whatever I'm doing seems to be working for me :)

I've come to the conclusion that there's NO default method to quit smoking .. it's all about finding what [b]works for you[/b], and not giving up giving up as it were.

I've tried a ton of times with and without NRT .. this time I discovered "nicorette quickmist", hasn't helped the missus, but worked for me .. she'll find her own solution when she's ready .. simple as that :)
(quitting the NRT is another story .. but easier than quitting both smoking and nicotine at the same time)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com