Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AV & Firewalls -- Revisted
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 am 

In light of several recent inquiries regarding the necessity of anti-virus software and software firewalls in Peppermint, *THIS* might be worth a second look.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

Post subject: Re: AV & Firewalls -- Revisted
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm 

Good call bringing this to everybody's attention, mac. I know we get a lot of new users right after a release, many come from Windows. The last credible "big threat" that I can remember that could infect Windows, Mac and Linux couldn't even survive a reboot on Linux. It could do some damage on the other two, but not on Linux. So, no, you don't need antivirus software. You only need a firewall if you think someone is trying to hack into your system. Which, for the majority of computer users, isn't an issue. Most hackers tend to prefer bigger targets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm 

AV is not necessary unless you are running something like a mail server and want to scan mail passing through its for viruses that may harm Windows clients.

Firewall .. if it's a home PC and you're behind a NAT router it's not necessary.

I suppose there's an argument for running gufw and blocking inbound connections if it's a portable PC and you regularly connect to public networks .. to protect you from other users on the same network.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

Yeah, people coming from Windows really need to let go of the paranoia that companies like Norton and McAfee have been spreading for many, many years. (they're probably the ones releasing the viruses, to drum up business)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm 

It's understandable .. they've been taught that's the way computing is, and it's become an accepted part of it .. nobody has told them "it's NOT the way it has to be"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm 

I've been using Microsoft Windows for fifteen years on the Internet and I've only ever gotten two viruses. One was from downloading some illegally gotten software, so I deserved to get the virus. The second was from sharing a flash drive with a computer that I didn't know was infected. Neither was from reading my e-mail or doing other "normal" activities on the Internet and I don't run antivirus software in Windows and I only use the firewalls provided by Windows and my ISP.

So, to recap, I made two stupid mistakes and got two viruses. (I eradicated both) So, if you don't do stupid things, you won't get viruses.

That's why I stand by my statement that it's paranoia spread by those companies to make money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:25 pm 

Fire up Windows, I'm about to send you an email I'd like you to look at ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:58 pm 

Yeah, in fifteen years, I've never fallen for that one. :P "Hm, I don't recognize you, you're going in the trash." Besides, you can't get a virus from an e-mail if you don't download the attachments. And, if you just start downloading attachments sent by people you don't know, you deserve a virus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

This is my first post and I understand this is an old thread. I use windows and linux. It seems to me that it is very callous to say that someone deserves to get a virus. Really? My mom is a sweet 75yr old lady and loves to play games and read email. She has no idea where the problem virus and malware come from. So, I fix her computer to keep it going. Now I have peppermint on her system and am done fixing viruses! Hooray! However, just like a person that is immune to a sickness are those that are on linux systems. YOU don't get the virus but OTHERS will and YOU could be INFECTING them. I have documents from MS Word sent to me and other types of docs. Should I just send them to anyone and not scan them? What about email that has infections in the image part. Should I forward that without scanning? Lets stop with the arrogant "I am a Linux user and I don't care about the rest of the world" attitude. I find that very childish and unprofessional. When people ask the question, " What is the best virus scanner?" I feel like there's going to be a dog pile on them from linux users saying how great the linux system is with viruses. What the person is asking has nothing to do with the linux system. The question is, what is the best virus scanner. Can we get an answer? Another issue I am having is the difficulty on finding out the procedures to run the scanners. I just had to add code to the avast! virus scanner to allow it to run because the virus definitions file became too big and the program wouldn't run. Are you kidding me? If I, a newbie could find this problem and repair it. What's the deal with Avast! ? Still, I am trying to find a email scanner for linux so when I download mail onto thunderbird I don't infect OTHERS. I am beginning to be very very disappointed in even trying to ask for advice on these forums. Too much rudeness and arrogance. Please, can I just get an answer without the condescending attitude. Let me decide weather or not a scanner is right for me. Advise me, don't tell me that I don't need one because of the great and awesome powers of Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm 

Firstly, "what's the best virus scanner" is not asked in this topic .. so nobody responded in the manner you suggest :?

and I think that assuming people will be condescending if you ask that question on this forum is frankly .. erm, condescending.

This is after all your first posting .. and IMHO seems worded specifically to antagonise before you even get around to a question.

Can I also add that I don't personally think it's down to Linux desktop users to fix the weaknesses in Windows by hobbling their systems unnecessarily .. Instead of preaching to Linux desktop users, wouldn't your time be better spent preaching to the people that actually DO need to be running AV ?

I would expect a Linux mail server to scan for Windows viruses, but I most definitely DO NOT think it's Linux desktop users place to unnecessarily hobble their OS to protect someone else's broken OS.

That said, if you ask your question without making antagonistic assumptions from the outset, you might just get a helpful response ;)