Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Obligatory Members' Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm 

Ah, sounds like you've got your bases covered. :) Windows and Peppermint should get you what you need for most colleges. My cousin is going to a school that specializes in art and, oddly, they didn't require Macs the first year but they did for her second year. So, I'm thinking this is a very specific case where they needed them to run certain software that only runs on a Mac. In most instances, writing papers, etc., you should be able to use any computer with a word processor, and OpenOffice, LibreOffice and Abiword certainly have you covered there. If they require MS fonts, that's no problem, as they can be installed. In fact, they may even be dependencies for those office suites. And, if you have to run specific software, most of the time it will be Windows software. So, with a dual boot, you should be ready for most college situations.

Personally, I just run Windows software in Windows and don't mess with Wine. (this policy came after extensive testing) Wine is good for those people who absolutely refuse to run Windows, but there's a lot of software it won't run. Plus, some things it will run don't run as well as they do in Windows. I don't know how Microsoft Office runs on Wine because I've been using OpenOffice since before I even started using Linux, (though, I use LibreOffice now) but I know none of my Windows 3D CGI software runs well on Wine. And, some of my games are hit and miss, others are just flat out misses, though a few run flawlessly on there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 pm 

Maybe wine isn't such a good idea. I remember trying to use SketchUp for a design studies course I took and it was painful to use under linux. The entire program was slow and one mouse click behind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm 

I tried running Lightwave in Peppermint Three using Wine and it ran horribly. It uses a hardware lock to ensure that you're using a licensed version that I couldn't get working, despite adding USB support to Wine and compiling it from source, so I had to use a hacked version. That ran, but changes I made weren't showing up in the program unless I minimized and maximized it after every change. :roll: I've gotten a couple games to run almost as well as they do in Windows, but most run dreadfully, if at all. Most are a lot slower than they are on Windows. But, some people love Wine. To each his/her own. ;)

In my opinion, the best way to go is to just run software in the OS for which it was intended.

Post subject: Hello :)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

Knock knock ...

Hi Peppermint Community :)
My real name is Ali and I use amjjawad everywhere on Linux Community :)

I'm the new Community Manager for Peppermint. Former Team Leader of Lubuntu for two years. Very active Linux Supporter, Advocate, Contributor, Project Leader, etc. Linux in my blood and I simply breathe it :D

You can view my Ubuntu Community Profile at my signature or here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad

I have joined Peppermint to help this Community to grow bigger and share my skills, experience and ideas as well.

For the last year, I've been involved in so many projects. This is some of what I have:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Communi ... tartUbuntu

https://www.facebook.com/groups/352004991569676/

http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/07/dr ... ystem.html

For the last two years, 99% of my activities if not 100% were all for Lubuntu. I thought it is time to go global and help other Communities as well. I'm still member of Lubuntu Community but no longer taking any official/leading role.

I'm also here to meet new friends, new people, help as much as I can, learn as much as possible, share the love of Linux, etc.

Hope you all are okay and enjoying Linux and Peppermint :)

Image Community Manager
Active Ubuntu Community Member/Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm 

Guess I should actually say hi, now that I've been bugging you guys for the last couple of days. :lol:
The names Jay. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm 

Don't feel alone. I don't think I ever did an intro post in this thread, and I joined almost three years ago. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 pm 

SciFiDude79 wrote:
Don't feel alone. I don't think I ever did an intro post in this thread, and I joined almost three years ago. :lol:

I usually don't bother. but the thread was here, So I figured why not. :lol:

By the way I left a comment on your blog. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm 

Hi Jay .. welcome to the wonderful world of the stripy sweet :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:24 pm 

DerrianWolf wrote:
By the way I left a comment on your blog. :lol:

Ah, so you're that Jay. ;) I finally got around to replying to that earlier. Though, the question you asked doesn't have an easy answer. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:47 pm 

Hi All.

My name is Ben.

Came across Peppermint purely by chance and very pleased I did.

Started on Peppermint 4 a few days ago and its running great on my old

Dell.

Love to muck about building Comps from old components and usually learn a little bit more on the way.

A great Forum.

Will be here regularly. :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next