Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: The Obligatory Members' Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:06 pm 

Hello and a warm welcome to the Peppermint OS forums.

We hope you're enjoying your stay and having fun with our distribution and browsing the forums. We like to think we're a friendly community and we're ready to help support you with hardware or software problems, share geeky screen captures of our desktops, and chat about all things Linux and otherwise.

This thread is for all members, new or veteran, newbie or guru, casual or power user, to introduce themselves to the crowd, if they like. We're all keen to get to know our community, and that's what this is for.

Oh, and if you want to get to know me, refer to the moderators' introductions.

See you on the boards :D

Post subject: Re: The Obligatory Members' Introductions Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:56 pm 

So I just installed Peppermint this week and I really like it so far. I've installed a lot of distros but I really like how fast Peppermint is without any tweaking. I run it on my desktop so it's lightning fast and very light on RAM (135MB on startup!). All the mods and the members have been good in the forums helping out and answering questions so if you have a question go ahead and post it. Also they have an IRC channel set up for live help if you open up the program XChat in the Internet section of the menu. I'll be hanging out in the forums when I can to answer questions and to help out when possible. Thanks for the great distro and I look forward to its development!

Q6600 @2.4GHz (sse3 nx lm vmx), 4096MB DDR2 RAM 6400, NV 8800GT (GLX), Intel 82801I ICH9 Family sound card (HDA Intel), Marv 88E8053 PCI-E Ethernet 100/1000 (Sky2), 320 WDHDD (Swap, / ext4, /home ext4)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 pm 

Howdy, I guess :)
Chances are people here know me already, but if not I'll give you a little background.
Simple fella hailing from Limerick in Ireland, living in England at the moment. Bit of a
Linux/pooter fanatic, and a developer for Linux Mint.
Probably be around a fair bit, if Kendall can think of anything he needs rewriting :lol:
Anywho, HI :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 pm 

Good to see Ya around ikey, It's about time :lol: , Welcome to thePeppermint Forums my friend, (You may know me as Jay514 ) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:18 pm 

Hey cool! All the cool people are here :lol:
Nice seeing you Jay :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 am 

I've been running GNU/Linux for awhile now, and I have done some distro-hopping (see my comment in the "Which distros have you used" thread).

I love GNU/Linux. I do not remember what finally pushed me fully away from Windows, but it happened around September. I just finally decided to get rid of it. Fortunately, I knew about Linux (though not GNU), and a lot of people do not know that there are options besides Windows and Mac.

I have learned a lot about running GNU/Linux, though I still have a lot to learn. I am switching my college major to computer science this fall so that I can work in the field. And I am going to start a company as a Linux consultant, helping people switch over, and eventually selling custom computers (which I have found to be better for running other than Windows).

So Hello to everyone here. Welcome to Peppermint, the best OS I've found yet. And the best support team I have found on the Internet, after using a dozen forums or more. (I know it seems like I am just piling it on, but I gotta say it like it is.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 pm 

ikey,

Good to see you here. This is a nice place to hang out except its so small. Only 160 or so members yet ,but its growing fast. Two weeks ago when I joined, there were only 65 members. Quite a difference from the Mint forum and we won't mention Ubuntu. Nice for a little quiet time. :lol: :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 pm 

Hi, after clogging up the other boards, I thought I ought to introduce myself.

I'm from the south-west of England, and I'm still very much a Linux newbie. I first installed Linux Mint last summer, and fairly quickly moved to using it as my main OS. I've dual-booted a number of other different distros and versions since then, trying to get a feel for what I really wanted but I'm really liking Peppermint's speed and simplicity.

I've never had any formal computer training but I've been using PCs since the early 90s and Windows 3, so I tend to be tech support for my family and friends. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 am 

I suppose I could write an intro post as well. :)

My name is Trent, and many of you already know me as The Linux Critic. "Mr_Shifty" is a moniker I've been using since the mid 1980s or so.

I came to Peppermint OS after having been a big fan of Kendall's work on the Linux Mint Fluxbox and LXDE releases earlier this year. I wrote an early review of Peppermint OS after being asked by Shane if I would be interested in doing so after my beta testing.

I'm an early convert to Peppermint after that experience.... it's breathed some new life into an old laptop I had been considering getting rid of, and I've started installing it on other users' hardware as well. My Aunt Jean also has a tired old laptop, and last week after trying Mint 9 out on it and discovering that it simply couldn't handle it, I made her a Peppermint convert as well.

I'm a longtime Slackware user who jumped ship last year for Linux Mint and while I still use Mint on my new laptop, Peppermint has found a permanent home on my old one, which I'm now using as kind of a big, bulky netbook of a sort. :lol:

Anyway, professionally I present myself as a "technology expert", which means I'm really just an IT generalist. I've spent 16 years mostly supporting Windows desktops, servers, and networks, so I'm painfully aware of what I'm missing by not using Windows in my private life. And believe me, I'm okay with it.

I'm not a moderator here, or otherwise associated with the Peppermint OS team, though I try to answer the occasional questions and offer help if there's anything I happen to know about a question posed by another user. I'm just another Linux user who happens to have a few more years of experience and I hope a bit more to offer the newbie with respect to advice.

Kendall wrote:
I don't watch anything when I'm messed up. Those are the precious hours I save for doing Peppermint development.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:46 am 

Hi, my name's notbryant or just Bry, for short. I ran across Peppermint when I was getting fed up of either overstuffed netbook distros or bare bones distros for my EEE 901 netbook. I very much adore almost everything about Peppermint right out of the box, and I'm hoping it will stay snappy and well tempered on my netbook and I can finally have found a good, solid, quick netbook-able distribution.

In terms of technical expertise (or lack thereof), I've never actually had any formal technical training, other than a Java programming course, but I do love computers and tinkering with them in my spare time. I'm currently 19 years old, hoping to get a degree in either Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering, which will then in turn hopefully feed my love of software and whatnot.

Anyway, as I said before, I own an ASUS EEE 901 netbook which currently has Peppermint installed, but my main desktop machine still runs Windows XP, for I'm still too stubborn and ritualistic to switch to Linux full time. (But odds are, I'll switch to Peppermint when I finally do. Or something very close.)

I feel I'm rambling, so I'll wrap it up. It's nice to meet you all, after lurking a few topics over the past week via Google searches. :geek:

I'm beginning to think that I take way too many words to express simple thoughts...I guess that's why I have a blog. But I hope that doesn't bleed into forum posts much. Or forum signatures, for that matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next