Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HPLIP install comments
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:44 am 

This is not so much a problem (since I found a 'solution' -- see below) as it is a comment for those installing a wireless HP printer (at least similar to mine: HP Deskjet 3055A).

I just bought this printer and saw on the HP driver download page that the latest driver version was newer than the one currently listed in the repositories. So I thought that I would be clever and use this newer one rather than installing the older repository version. It turned out that I wasn't as clever as I needed to be. :lol:

When running the installer as directed by HP (in a terminal) I was asked early in the process to indicate which Linux distro I was using. I am running Peppermint 4 but that was not listed. I selected Mint 15, but maybe this was not so optimal ... then again maybe it really wasn't the source of my trouble, which was: to enter the admin password (which I assumed to be the one I use after entering sudo). Everything I tried failed. :? ... and running the installer with sudo resulted in a message telling me not to do that, so I was clueless as to how to run this thing.

Since I needed to get printer up and running ASAP, I just went ahead and installed the repository version of hplip. I saw the package hplip-gui but did not install it because of the many Qt packages that it wanted to install. To get to the point, I finally got the printer up and running without the GUI, but it probably would have been quicker and easier with it. :roll:

-- Slim

Post subject: Re: HPLIP install comments
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:22 am 

Thanks for the info :)

I generally *do* install hplip-gui .. IIRC it doesn't pull in all that much .. but yeah, it's not necessary, the default printer configuration GUI will generally do the job too :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 pm 

I usually just use Synaptic and select hplip-gui, that pulls in everything else I need. Though, with a new printer, you do run the risk of it not being supported by the drivers in the repositories, which are from last year. In that case, the newest driver would be needed. So, I can see why you tried what you did, though I personally would have tried the version in the repositories first. ;)

One of the nice things about hplip-gui is that it will show you things like ink levels, but that's only necessary if you have a printer without an LCD screen. The default printer utility won't show you that stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 pm 

SciFiDude79 wrote:
One of the nice things about hplip-gui is that it will show you things like ink levels, but that's only necessary if you have a printer without an LCD screen. The default printer utility won't show you that stuff.

With my printer and the hplip from the repository (without the hplip-gui) I can do and see all sorts of nice things (including checking the ink levels, but much more as well) by opening a web browser (e.g. firefox) and entering the ip address of the printer in the navigation bar (since my printer has an EWS, which is short for embedded web server). ;)

-- Slim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36 pm 

Cool. You must have a wireless one, because wired ones don't have IP addresses. My comment about the benefits of hplip-gui was aimed more at the cheapo wired deskjets. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 am 

SciFiDude79 wrote:
Cool. You must have a wireless one, because wired ones don't have IP addresses. My comment about the benefits of hplip-gui was aimed more at the cheapo wired deskjets. ;)

Yes, I forgot to mention the wireless part. This is perhaps the cheapest HP Deskjet all-in-one printer with wireless (suggested price is about 80 €, but I've now seen it offered online for much less -- like 56 €).

-- Slim