Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (Solved) Shared Thunderbird profile, how?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:02 am 

I have been doing a fair amount of research on this issue, but I haven't found a viable solution for this issue yet. I would like to be able to have my current Thunderbird email (profile, add-ons and local mailboxes) shared between two instances of Thunderbird (one at a time) between on Linux and Mac OS X.

I have a homebuilt tower system running Peppermint OS, and a Mac Mini at my workstation. Whether I use that one or the other system, is usually determined by whether I need to use the proprietary software on the Mac Mini or not. I have two USB 3.0 hubs, one connected to the Mac, and one connected to my tower system. I have migrated my Thunderbird profile from the Mac Mini to a high speed USB 3.0 stick. I would like to set my Peppermint OS system version of Thunderbird to use the same profile on the same USB stick (one system at a time).. The idea being that I would like to move the USB stick from one hub to the other, according to where my workflow priorities for the day are.

Anyone have an idea how to do that? The key issue seems to be the Thunderbird profile.ini file:

1) How do I set the Thunderbird app on my tower system (Peppermint OS) to use the existing profile on the USB stick?
2) How do I prevent the one Thunderbird instance from overwritting the profile.ini file already in existence on the USB stick?

I assume that moving the stick from one USB hub to another will be registered by Thunderbird as "being another place" that when connected to the other hub? Or am I overcomplicating things?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by globetrotterdk on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Shared Thunderbird profile, how?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am 

So what exactly is changing in the profiles.ini ?

I take it the mount point for the USB stick is different between Peppermint and OS X ?

Have you tried symlinking the profile on the USB stick to the .thunderbird directory in your home folder on both OS's ?

as long as the relative path remains the same on both OS's and the profile name is the same, you should be good to go.

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

Post subject: Re: Shared Thunderbird profile, how?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:19 pm 

I seem to have found the answer myself. The profiles.ini file is in /.thunderbird, so changes to the default profile don't affect that file, as long as the profile is in another place than the default location. Same goes for the OS X side. It is necessary to follow the instructions for creating a new default profile - call the folder with the files you want to use for something else, and create a new folder on the USB stick, using it for your default profile. Make sure to use the same name for the folder as the original. Copy the files in and your good to go.

When using a USB stick on Peppermint, this issue comes into play:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=109844

Uninstalling udisks solved my problem.