Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rolling Release?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:07 pm 

Just downloaded and installed Ice...

Very nice....Left PCLOS after a couple of years due to all the positive things I have read about Peppermint.

Is this a true Rolling Release? If so, do you upgrade via update manager or command line (apt update,apt upgrade) to make sure you get all "rolling" updates?

Post subject: Re: Rolling Release?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm 

Thanks for trying Peppermint and welcome to the Forums.

I believe you can do either. If I key any errors, I am sure I'll be corrected forthwith. mintUpdate will be a bit more cautious and automatic, not grabbing every single update. apt update && apt upgrade should pull in the what mintUpdate does plus levels 4 and 5. Some of our users have elected to disable mintupdate and just use apt or synaptic. It is your choice. There are existing topics available for preventing mintUpdate from running. I would recommend just letting mintUpdate do its thing.

As Kendall mentions in another topic,
Quote:
"...mintUpdate breaks down updates according to the likelihood that they may cause lower level system problems into 5 categories and only installs down to level 3 as a degree of insurance over your system's stability. 99.9% of the time it's a little over cautious, but in some cases the extra layer of safety is either needed or desired."

cxexa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:16 pm 

Peppermint is not what I would consider a "true rolling release". The general premise is to apply mostly application updates (though a good many system updates have made it as well) to the LTS code base. Many times this means breaking away from Ubuntu in favor of Debian builds and sometimes it means packaging from pure vanilla source. This being said, when Peppermint Two eventually releases, One will be technically obsolete, though it will still receive some security updates.

The nature of most system updates that come with newer releases generally have little effect on the way an installed system already performs. This is why I state that if you have a good working system, don't mess with it. If you're using the 2.6.32 kernel and everything works fine, then there's really not any reason to upgrade beyond that particular kernel. Same thing with printer libraries, file sharing frameworks, C libraries, etc. Occasionally updating can mean better performance, but performance gains are often over exaggerated. Most of what we're doing from the development end is trying to apply updates in the interest of better supporting more hardware while still being able to perform reasonably on already supported equipment.

Essentially Peppermint is a system that has rolling application updates and some system updates on top of the LTS code base. The next major release will come with the next LTS release. A respin doesn't necessarily have the same exact low level configuration as the one before it, but it would not be my place to mess with someone's good running system in order to apply a system update that could potentially bork their install (this is why hal isn't in the latest respin, but also why I'm not going to remove it from existing systems).

I hope this has better explained our update process.

Google+: gplus.kendallweaver.com
Twitter: @kendalltristan

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:16 am 

thanks for clearing that out, kendall.

could you just specify why synaptic isnt picking up updates which mintupdates sees, and im absolutely positive on this. i get to refresh the packages list in synaptic, and nothing shows up as changed, as in autoupdates marked, i shut it down, start mintupdated, and voila, there are 15 updates available.

regards

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 pm 

I'll look into it. I personally haven't used either mintUpdate or Synaptic in at least 6 months.

Google+: gplus.kendallweaver.com
Twitter: @kendalltristan

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.