Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disabling Authentication [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:14 am 

hello my friends,
i was looking an OS for my laptop in order for my mom to surf and use basic office suits, and came across this amazing distro and just love it. first of all, thank you for your brilliant work.
i have one little, tiny question i couldn't find an answer throughout the internet and pmit forums. i want to disable authentication feature. every time i want to install something new, or checking updates, etc. the pmint asking me the authentication pass. though i know it, i find it a little tiresome to enter it everytime. is there any way to get rid of me this problem?
cheers.

Last edited by himgil on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Disabling Authentication
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am 

... and one other quick question. i installed p2 next to my xp. i am dual booting each time i restarted my computer (as you can guess). even though, if no one press anything, after 10 sec, p2 automatically starts, yet, i am wondering, is there any way to work around this? what i want simply automatically starting p2, and if needed, working copy of xp (maybe accessible through a F12 key, or a program like "booting manager" in p2 can get me to xp.).
thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:09 am 

Disable Authentication: not advised but here's how: open your terminal and then.....
Code:
sudo visudo

find the line that reads....
Code:
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

and change it to read
Code:
%admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

then hit Ctl+o, then Enter, then Ctl+x
You may need to reboot for the change to take effect

As for your second question, I know of no way to remove the grub screen when you're dual booting. However, you can reduce the time it takes by editing grub.
To do that.....
Code:
gedit /etc/default/grub

find....
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 (or whatever your number is)
and change the number to however long of a delay you want
example......
Code:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

save and exit
then update grub
Code:
sudo update-grub

It you don't want any grub screen at all the only way I know is to solo install Peppermint which will not show grub when booting. If you need another OS, you can install it using virtual box.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
http://peppermintos.com/guide/
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

Last edited by mac on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 am 

thank you mac. i did what you said for the question #1, it worked flawlessly. regarding #2, i already reduced the sec to 0, yet i wonder is there any other way. thanks though.

Last edited by himgil on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 am 

There may be another way, himgil, but I don't know it. Maybe someone else will weigh in shortly.
Welcome to Peppermint, by the way.

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

Post subject: Re: Disabling Authentication [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 am 

For future readers .. disabling authentication in this manner (or any other) is NOT something that should be taken lightly (or done AT ALL), not only will your system be LESS secure than a Windows system, but you are also potentially putting other PC's on the network at risk.

If you want to know why logging on as 'root' (which is effectively what you're doing) is not a clever idea, read this:

Rick's Rants - Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?
(yes, I know it's quite long .. but read it anyway)

I know that's specifically about AV and Linux, but it also explains VERY well why you shouldn't log on as root, and why Linux security works :)

You can read the announcement here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6608
Or here's a direct link to the new forum:
http://forum.peppermintos.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:31 am 

Agreed. Hence......
Quote:
Disable Authentication: not advised

Thanks for weighing in....

regards
mac

Reg. Linux User #432835
viewforum.php?f=5
viewforum.php?f=44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 am 

Yeh, I spotted that you'd said it wasn't advised .. just thought I'd add a stronger warning (for future readers), and thought an explanation of WHY it's not advised was probably a good idea ;)

Not to mention, that "Rick's rants" page is 'uber' informative, and I think all new users should read it .. specially when they're thinking of attempting to turn Linux into Windows.

Heh .. I'm not even a fan of autologin, but that's just me ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm 

thank you pcnetspec. after reading the whole page, no matter how tiresome, i reasoned that i shouldn't disable authentication at all. this quote accurately points me: "The implication is clear: If a user lacks the judgement to use the root account safely, the only way to protect the system from that user is for him/her to not have root access. After carrying out this remedy to address the real causes of the problem, adding a "virus checker" is neither necessary nor useful."

so, i guess what i need to do is to undo what i've done to resurrect the authentication.

thank you all for your valuable comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:38 pm 

Good choice, well made ;)

With administrative passwords enabled - malicious code would only have permission to damage files in the "Home" folder of the person that ran it (system files couldn't be affected).. so in a worse case scenario, you'd just need to create a new user account, and copy your docs etc. from the backup you should have, then delete the damaged account.

With administrative passwords disabled - malicious code run by ANY user, could damage EVERY file on the system, it could even erase the whole system .. it may even have permission to traverse the network and damage files on network shares.

There is a good reason for separating "user" and "root" permissions .. and "user space" from "kernel space" .. Linux/Unix "permissions" are the very backbone of its well proven security model (though not the only feature by any means), it seems a shame to circumvent them :)

Not that there *is* much malicious code in the Linux world, there isn't, but the main reason for this is because there's no incentive to write any, as permissions (amongst other things) normally stop it dead in its tracks .. so it could be said that disabling Linux security features is begging the idiots that write malicious code to target Linux too .. if everyone turns off Linux security just to save typing a password a few times, we're just as vulnerable as Windows .. and we wouldn't want that would we ?