Peppermint | Linux OS Community Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BSD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm 

I'm am intrigued by BSD, looking to try the live CD of Ghost BSD. Most BSD is KDE which I don't care for, Ghost BSD is Gnome which I am much more comfortable with. It also is a reasonable size at 645mb.

What are Linux users experience with BSD? Do you feel there are any major advantages for desktop use (I understand the server advantages)?

Post subject: Re: BSD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:30 pm 

I have dabbled with BSD in the past, but at the time I had a rather slow pc, with little memory, and wasn't too impressed with it. I keep telling myself, I am going to give it another go, but I am still learning all I can about Linux, so tackling another #unix type system always holds me back somewhat, but I really should take the leap and see what I can do with BSD. I saw Ghost on Distrowatch, and gave it a thought. Maybe I will join you in having a go at it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 pm 

I tried one of them a few months ago, I think it was FreeBSD. The installer was killing me, though, and I don't think I ever got it installed correctly or it wouldn't boot or something. To make a long story short, i wound up removing it. I've been thinking of trying Ghost BSD or Dragonfly BSD because both have Live CDs available. Maybe I'll do that later. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm 
I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread a bit ago. :oops:

Ghost BSD #EPICFAIL it couldn't even configure my network card with a wired connection. Even when I manually entered all the info, no luck. Now I know why I didn't care for BSD.
#notnewbiefriendly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm 

I tried DragonFly BSD earlier. I liked that it was in a zip file, a 540+ MB .iso file compressed to 174 MB. After I unzipped it and started it in Virtual Box, the euphoria wore off. I thought "Live" meant that it would boot up to a desktop environment (GUI) but it didn't. It booted up to a CLI. I decided to stop messing with it at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 pm 
SciFiDude79 wrote:
I tried DragonFly BSD earlier. I liked that it was in a zip file, a 540+ MB .iso file compressed to 174 MB. After I unzipped it and started it in Virtual Box, the euphoria wore off. I thought "Live" meant that it would boot up to a desktop environment (GUI) but it didn't. It booted up to a CLI. I decided to stop messing with it at that point.

I wish it weren't so, but the sad fact is, BSD is way above my paygrade. I am still trying my best to learn the ins, and outs, of Linux, and at my age, I don't have the time to devote to both. Wish I had another 30, or 40 years dang it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 pm 

i dont see why you folks put some much on it? i mean, the spirit is quite similar, even the linux file/folder structure is not uniform, commands are similar, try startx at the cli prompt, tried that, or help, or something.

about dragonfly, check wiki, seen some pretty advanced ideas getting out to the world in terms of file systems in particular. the sole thing its ugly and it smells dont mean its bad or impossible to use (so was the penguine in the early days).

that being said, www.distrowatch.com, get a single re-writable dvd or just use up the extra RAM with qemu, virtual box or whatever suits you, try the thing out, even installing to virtual machine file, provided ample space. my experience with bsd goes way back, the same time i first put linux to work, and then i thought it to be only another linux distro ;). the only thing i never had it for a long time is that i wasnt able to get bsd and linux installed on the same machine in the same time, which is reported possible now (maybe it was even then, but cared not deal with it, since basically linux was more stable for me, had the same applications and most of the stuff, especially today, so theres really no larger difference but personal taste, imho)

we have too much time, too big hunger for knowledge and too playful for linux no to experiment with the big cousin, least mock it

regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:13 pm 

Downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ghost BSD, both failed to even boot

End of experiment, back to playing with Linux

BSD FAIL :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 am 

pcbsd, freebsd, try those.

bsd works as well as any linux, and even some popular linux distros i had to boot using grub commands (wasnt working out of the box- default, as you say)

oh, man...

regards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm 

I keep telling myself I'm going to try PC-BSD but the 3.4 GB DL size is a little off-putting. One of these days, I just need to bite the bullet and download it. (it will take about 6 hours)